Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-19-2011, 03:51 PM   #1

Share |

Raintree sprinkler system

Bought a house that had a raintree system installed, a bit old, but trying to figure out if it can be brought to working order.

Scattered throughout the yard, are several green plastic covers (like mini-manhole covers). These open up into areas with some valves and spikets.

Does anybody know what these are for? Are these holes just mini-control stations to turn water on/off to the different systems? Or are they meant to insert sprinkler heads?

When I turn our system on, the first mini-manhole (closest to the water main) fills up with water.

HHac8014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 05:24 AM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Those boxes are to cover your remote valves. There are wires running from the controller (probably in the garage?) stations to these valves. The spickets were put in the boxes so you don't have to drag 100 foot garden hoses around.

The valves have rather standard components for closing off and adjusting water flow. You do this using the thumbscrew on the top of the valve to force it into "manual" model. The other component is a simple solenoid actuator that opens and closes the valve electrically from the controller box.

If the system has been sitting you should plan on rebuilding all the valves. Turn the water off and buy the kits for the models you have. The are just rubber gaskets, valve stem washers and so forth and do not cost much. they are easy to install.

With the valves rebuilt see if the controller turns them on. If not, you will have to replace the solenoid actuators (and attach wiring to them). The just thread on and off and are not particularly expensive either.

If rebuilding the valve seals does not keep that first box from filling with water? You may have a cracked pipe coming in or out of the valve.

Without seeing and knowing more of your system I cannot tell you for sure if you can bring it back to life. It sounds like it was originally installed properly so I suspect so. Plan on cleaning the whole system out including removing and reinserting the sprinkler heads and servicing the valves as mentioned.

If you are in a cold climate and the irrigation lines did not have water blown out at the end of each season you may have experienced some freezing damage that needs to be replaced.

Please send more details. Let's be optimistic and assume you can be back to sprinkling with neglected maintenance issues resolved.

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 11:06 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
Those boxes are to cover your remote valves. There are wires running from the controller (probably in the garage?) stations to these valves. The spickets were put in the boxes so you don't have to drag 100 foot garden hoses around.

The valves have rather standard components for closing off and adjusting water flow. You do this using the thumbscrew on the top of the valve to force it into "manual" model. The other component is a simple solenoid actuator that opens and closes the valve electrically from the controller box.

If the system has been sitting you should plan on rebuilding all the valves. Turn the water off and buy the kits for the models you have. The are just rubber gaskets, valve stem washers and so forth and do not cost much. they are easy to install.

With the valves rebuilt see if the controller turns them on. If not, you will have to replace the solenoid actuators (and attach wiring to them). The just thread on and off and are not particularly expensive either.

If rebuilding the valve seals does not keep that first box from filling with water? You may have a cracked pipe coming in or out of the valve.

Without seeing and knowing more of your system I cannot tell you for sure if you can bring it back to life. It sounds like it was originally installed properly so I suspect so. Plan on cleaning the whole system out including removing and reinserting the sprinkler heads and servicing the valves as mentioned.

If you are in a cold climate and the irrigation lines did not have water blown out at the end of each season you may have experienced some freezing damage that needs to be replaced.

Please send more details. Let's be optimistic and assume you can be back to sprinkling with neglected maintenance issues resolved.
I agree with everything sdsester said, just to have as a second opinion.
casey.irving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 03:34 PM   #4

Great tips SD! I'll try to track down a kit and see what I can do.
HHac8014 is offline   Reply With Quote