Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-21-2012, 02:12 PM   #1

Share |

Rain barrel pump?

Anyone have any cheap ideas for a pump to pump out rain barrel water? I'd like something with enough pressure to hook up a sprinkler and water the lawn.

The 90*+ temps and virtually no rain has torched my lawn and I would like to use my rain barrel water to do so.

I thought about using a sump pump, but something inline would work best for me since my rain barrels are old food-grade poly barrels.

Thanks!

Graham
gjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 02:31 PM   #2

Rain barrel pump?

You can pressurize the drums with air if you have a regulator which will go low enough....too much pressure and the drum just may rupture. I've done it with waste oil drums and it works well if you are careful.
Old 06-23-2012, 08:02 PM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rain barrel pump?

Your local irrigation supplier should have an appropriate in-line irrigation pump that you can install to go one when your automatic irrigation valves open. What size and flow rate you will need will depend on what your sprinklers draw. You can certainly find one online too.

You might just use the rain barrel water for drip irrigation in the flower beds. It has less critical pressure and flow rate requirments since it works slowly and in gallons per hour rather than gallons per minute like conventional sprinklers.

Do make sure you plan on some sort of easily serviced filtration for the system if using rain barrel water or you will be forever cleaning clogged drip emitters or lawn sprinklers.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 09:29 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

Rain barrel pump?

gjones, yo really need to overseed this fall with drought resistant grass. As for your situation, you could go to Ace or Lowe's, and get a pump that you drop in when wanting to water, and remove when done. As for the amount you have available. what ever the level is that you have in there, if it is not a full 55 gallon's, it will not last that long to give your grass a good drink.

How much square footage are we talking about, for the yard you want to water? Keep in mind, that if there is no rain, you are just pretty much like a guy in the desert holding a sieve to collect water.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!
: So what'll happen?
: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 08:27 AM   #5

Rain barrel pump?

i have a 55gl rain barrel. when watering grass, 55gl is just a drop in the bucket.

i have a short hose on mine, and use the water for the immediate area by the barrel.
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote