Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-01-2012, 12:56 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Quikrete retaining wall

Hey all just wanted some input on my plan for a ~3' retaining wall.

You may or may not have seen/heard of these types of walls, but they seem to be "established" (see here, here, or here)

I realize this was probably a more thrifty option when sacks of concrete weren't $3.60 a bag like at my local hardware stores. Nonetheless, I want something more permanent than wood, but just as easy to install.

An urbanite dry stack was something we considered, as we have some concrete that we need to hammer and toss--but we don't have nearly enough. And no great means of transporting the occasional Craigslist post for "free fill concrete".

Segmental retaining walls were high on the list, but I still really liked the idea of a dry stack as you apparently don't need a footing or drain tile.

So I've arrived at bags of Quikrete. I'm tempted to assume that they are going to act just like a dry stack they allow water to weep, and don't need a footer. If I had the cash I would throw in a ~10" footer with some drain tile for the hell of it. But I'm really not sure if it's necessary at all and would just end up being a waste of time? Thanks for any input!

eddytheflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 01:32 PM   #2

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,124

Quikrete retaining wall

Segmental retaining wall units (SRWs) are not intended to be placed on concrete footing, but on a compacted base. This is a common requirement for all of the major products for was retaining up to 20' or more of soil.

For a 3' wall, no engineering or geo-grid is required. A well draining soil for backfill is best, just as it is for all types of retaining walls. Putting a filter fabric or a black perforated "weed barrier" to eliminate any soil from washing out. Drain tile would not be necessary, but is good to have.

Dick

concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 01:38 PM   #3

Quikrete retaining wall

Thanks for that.

Would you bother with a gravel footer if using quikrete sacks?
What about with a dry stack retaining wall?
Old 08-02-2012, 03:58 AM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quikrete retaining wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddytheflow View Post
Would you bother with a gravel footer if using quikrete sacks?
What about with a dry stack retaining wall?
Yup! Absolutely.

By the way, just how much and long a slope are you hoping to retain with this 3' wall? How wide is the wall going to need to be? If the slope is steep and long and the wall wide, the forces against your retaining wall are likely not going to cooperate and apply themselves in equal amounts at all points.

While you might not need engineered reinforcement it might be a good idea or you could end up with one wavy looking wall after a few years. I am not sure it is the way I would approach a retaining wall but I have seen sack walls with rebar added for support. Just food for thought.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 12:28 PM   #5

Quikrete retaining wall

Starting to sound like i may as well do a SRW =\

Basically trying to increase the usable area in our front yard, so we would need to backfill up to the 3' height along the front property line. I think the longest length of wall would be around 30'.