Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-16-2012, 09:35 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Question re Landscape Lighting Plan

I plan to install a fairly simple, <$500 landscape lighting scheme for the front of my home.

Currently, I plan to use:
- 12 11w tier pathway lights (Paradise).
- 8 8w LED spotlights (probably Malibu - supposedly 50w equivalent but I'd settle for 35).
- 3 10w halogen submersible fountain lights (Beckett).

Total wattage is 226.

I'll be stringing these to a 300w Malibu transformer, using 12-2 low voltage wire.

I plan to break this into two runs, both connected directly to the one circuit on the transformer. Each run will be 70 feet in length, and the total wattage will be divided almost equally between the runs.

Do I need to be concerned about voltage drop? I don't care so much about the 11w pathlights, but I want to avoid a significant difference in lumens among the spotlights, which will mostly be shining on the house.

Specifically, I am a bit concerned that my current wiring plan calls for two spotlights to be located next to each other about 10 feet apart, but they are actually on opposite ends of a run. The run goes about 15 feet from transformer to first house spot, then through 8 pathlights and a tree spot around a semi-circle landscape bed, then finishes at the final house spot.

Will the volt drop at the final house spot be significant enough to notice a difference between it and the adjacent (on the home) house spot at the start of the run?

For the other run, I'll have 4 spots, 4 pathlights, and the fountain lights all attached in fairly close sequence starting about 10 feet from the transformer. Then, the wire travels about 40 feet up and over a double garage door to one final spot on the other side of the garage. Will this cause any problems?

joco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:53 AM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

I think you should be fine but let a sparky chime in to tell you what you will lose over the runs. Voltage loss would not be my concern. You are planning 220w out of a 300w transformer though. Great if things work out that way.

Transformers/timers are cheap. You might buy a beefier one or one for each circuit.

Take a look at marine or auto catalogs for additional bulb/fixture options.

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:57 AM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Big Lots of all places sells lv kits with tacky fixtures for chimp change. Well worth the price for the wire and timer/transformer. I make fixtures and use sockets and bulbs sometimes.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote