Question For Paying For Backyard Fence. - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-30-2008, 01:54 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Question for paying for backyard fence.

I moved into the house about 6 years ago. The fence at the time looked decent. But over the years we had a few big storm that knocked around our fences in the background. As of right now, the fence are holding up but I don't know if it can take another beating from the storm in the winter.

There are 3 sides to the fence, one on the left, one on the right and the other one on the back. The one on the right, I am not in good terms with them. I've complained MANY MANY times about there stupid barking dog and they don't seem to do anything about it. The one on the right, she is an old lady, very nice but very cheap/poor because she is on a fixed income. The one on the back, well I never talked to them or seen them before. I know a family lives there but I've NEVER seen them in the backyard before.

Personally I would like to do the work myself if I can. That is one of the reason why I am here in the first place to see what I can fix. Really I am not even asking them to pay for the labor if I can do it myself. I am just asking for them to help out with paying for the woods.

So would it be right if I ask my neighbor to help out with buying the woods and is it LEGAL? I live in Sacramento, California.

Advertisement

SuperAkuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 06:10 AM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,294

Ayuh,...

I believe, if it's Your Fence,... It's Your responsibility.....

Advertisement

Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 10:22 AM   #3

It is their fence as well. The fence is what divides my backyard and their backyard.
Old 07-30-2008, 12:18 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

The fence is on somebodies lot line!! Find out in your survey or home purchase papers who it belongs to. It doesn't cost your neighbors much to file a law suit--- and a whole lot more than the wood. As for the Dog--get an air horn for when he barks so your as annoying as he is! HA
agrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 01:28 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 580

Which way do the boards face? Generally, that is who owns the fence, although not always. I made one side of mine face the neighbor, since it is very visible from his front door.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:35 PM   #6

agrace,
I did not look at the property line, I guess that is the first thing I need to do. Lets say that if one side of the fence is NOT on my property line and if the wind blows it down, I don't need to worry about it at all?

Tscardborough,
The fence on the back side, it looks like a double sided fence so it is facing both of us. But the fence on the my two side, it faces my side, then it flips to the other side and flips back again.

This is the backside

This is the one to the right of me.
(Yes I know my backyard is dirty)

Old 07-30-2008, 07:59 PM   #7
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000
Smile

in our state the rural fences have to be set back 6 feet from your property line, in town, it's 6 INCHES on Your side of the line if You put it up. find property lines and that will tell you who owns what. if it's all yours, it's also your responsibility. *good luck*

DM
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 07:57 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 25

You still need to know if the fence is yours or a shared fence. If the wind blows your neighbors fence down he needs to keep the mess on his side of the property.
We too have a 6 foot ordinace but I used to live in california where we put it on our lot line but did a "good neighbor" fence--every other board faces you.

Just finished having major confrontations over fencing in current neighborhood. It was not pretty. If the fence is shared you could ask your neighbors if they might be able to share costs. You may even have to ask if they mind if you repair the fence---because if it is theirs you will absolutely need permission.

Know up front before it comes to a real P---ing contest! Looks like some of the boards are salvageable. Buy the drinks and ask the neighbors over, make the attempt to be nice and they may just pitch in.
agrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 08:31 PM   #9

Here's some homework.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw...+law&x=14&y=16

I had my fence set back 6" so it did not become the joint property of me and my obnoxious "unwarranted sense of entitlement" neighbor.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 08:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoyizit View Post
Here's some homework.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw...+law&x=14&y=16

I had my fence set back 6" so it did not become the joint property of me and my obnoxious "unwarranted sense of entitlement" neighbor.
Wow didn't know they had books about this topic!
Old 07-31-2008, 09:27 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperAkuma View Post
Wow didn't know they had books about this topic!
If you plan to work for someone else for a living, and if you want to be truly unhappy, read several books on Employees' rights and Employers' rights. Nolo Press has some books on this.

You would be amazed at what employers can do, and have done, and what employees can't do.
Old 08-01-2008, 12:12 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoyizit View Post
If you plan to work for someone else for a living, and if you want to be truly unhappy, read several books on Employees' rights and Employers' rights. Nolo Press has some books on this.

You would be amazed at what employers can do, and have done, and what employees can't do.
I did not buy the book but went to there website and found some tips. Thanks for heading me in the right direction.
Old 08-04-2008, 03:28 PM   #13

Found this while researching another post's reply; it might be a good first stop for your neighbor problems.

http://lectlaw.com/

Almost forgot: the survey that I got when I bought my house was wrong, and I only found out about it because it didn't match a neighbor's survey that he was kind enough to show me. The courthouse had another one for me that was different and was correct.

Wrote to the state complaining about the "due diligence" and "duty of care" not shown by the state-accredited surveyor, but that was a blind alley.

So I rented a metal detector and searched for the four iron posts at the corners of my property. I suspected one was at the power pole and after much digging I got all of one beep. After more digging and more beeps I found the post and some others, two inches below the surface (for a house built in the 60's).

If the law fails you, you might get some grim satisfaction if you can find your neighbor in a book that's mentioned more and more in the newspapers, nowadays: DSM-IV.
But if you find a perfect description of him/her in this reference book don't say anything - it might then become defamation.

Last edited by Yoyizit; 08-04-2008 at 03:47 PM.
Old 08-10-2008, 03:14 AM   #14
Head Geek

I live in the Sacramento area and you have what we call a 'good neighbor fence'. You can ask them to pay for half of the fence. If they don't pay, I would put all the fence boards on your side Typically the fences here are on the property lines.
The Lighting Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 09:12 AM   #15

In the UK, I suppose you would have to look at the Deeds to the property, but probably much easier just to talk to the neightbours first and come to a mutual agreement - much easier and less likely to cause disputes in the long run, so long as boundaries aren't really affected. With us I paid for one fence and my neightbour paid for another and one of us will just go out and paint them both when we notice it needs doing - no disputes, messing around or anything, we just get on with it.

Advertisement

cbosleeds is offline   Reply With Quote