DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Question about Starting a HomeLite Chainsaw...

4K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  joecaption 
#1 ·
Hello,

I am trying to start a brand new Homelite Chainsaw. I followed the directions which are:

1. Mix the gasoline and the 2-cycle lubricant in a clear container in a 50:1 ratio. For example, mix 2.6 oz. of lubricant into every gallon of gasoline.

2. Open the gas tank on the side of the chainsaw by unscrewing the gas cap. Place a funnel into the gas tank, and fill the tank up with the gasoline/lubricant mixture. Replace the gas cap.

3. Open the oil tank, located on the opposite side of the chainsaw from the gas tank. Fill the oil tank with chain saw lubricant.

4. Place the chainsaw on level ground. Set the ignition switch to "run." Pull back the chain brake, located on the top of the chainsaw, to the "run" position (vertically) with your left hand. Press the primer bulb, located on the back of the chainsaw, seven times.

5. Step on the rear handle to keep the chainsaw in place. Pull the choke lever, located underneath the ignition switch, all the way out. Pull the starter cord three times to get the engine revving. Push the choke lever to the "run" position, and squeeze the trigger on the rear handle with your right hand to start the chainsaw.
The problem is after getting to step five I can never pull the starter cord cleanly: it will give way a little and then stop after a few inches of give. So I can never get a "clean yank" of the cord.

Is this normal? What can I do to get the chainsaw to start?

Thanks.

#2 ·
You need to pull harder and faster---I never could start the things on the ground---to rough on my back.

I hold the saw in my left hand grip the cord in the right--Pull the cord while pushing the saw down with my left hand---works for me--Mike---

#6 ·
One trick I use sometimes is place a short stick, like a tomato stake cut off in the handle hole and stand on that, instead of trying to stick your foot in there.
There a high compression engine that's why there hard to pull.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.