Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-16-2014, 06:22 PM   #1

Share |

Quality of 4 by 4 PTW

I did some landscape work using 4 by 4 pressure treated wood. Some of it has bowed. Wood was purchased at either Lowes or Home Depot. I like to try to avoid this by buying a better quality that is more resistant to bowing. The 4 by 4s will be laying on the ground to prevent pea gravel from getting on the lawn. Does it exist and what name does it go by?

Last edited by rjordan392; 03-16-2014 at 06:25 PM.
rjordan392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 06:28 PM   #2

Quality of 4 by 4 PTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjordan392 View Post
I did some landscape work using 4 by 4 pressure treated wood. Some of it has bowed. Wood was purchased at either Lowes or Home Depot. I like to try to avoid this by buying a better quality that is more resistant to bowing. The 4 by 4s will be laying on the ground to prevent pea gravel from getting on the lawn. Does it exist and what name does it go by?
pro-wood lumber.....www.prowood.com...ben sr

ben's plumbing is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ben's plumbing For This Useful Post:
rjordan392 (03-16-2014)
Old 03-16-2014, 07:45 PM   #3

Quality of 4 by 4 PTW

Did you drill 1/2 holes and drive in some 24" long 1/2 rebar to stake it in place?
Did you notch the outside corners so they overlap and drill a hole and pin it with rebar?
ben's plumbing (03-17-2014), concretemasonry (03-16-2014)
Old 03-17-2014, 04:25 AM   #4

Quality of 4 by 4 PTW

No, I did not but should have. But on this job, I intend to use hot dipped galvanized stiff stock pole barn nails. I think they are about 7/16 diameter and about 12 to 18 inches long.The ground is loaded with rock; so I have to be luckey not to hit a rock when driving them. The 4 by 4s on the old job were laid between vinyl fence posts to help prevent pea gravel from washing out from underneath the fence. If the one's that bowed get any worse, I'll replace them and use the above hardware to secure them to the ground.
Now about 4 feet away from the vinyl fence is a vinyl picket fence and its this area where I need to put down 4 by 4s to keep the gravel away from the lawn. Securing them to the vinyl posts is out of the question.
1/2 inch by 24 inch rebar may not be the best choice due to the amount of rock in the ground.
Also I read on the net that when picking out the wood, choose the one's that do not have a knot at the cut end of the wood. The writer stated, this is the reason ptw bows or warps. Any truth to this?
Old 03-17-2014, 07:40 AM   #5

Quality of 4 by 4 PTW

Nope, uneven drying, and what part of the log the wood came from are the causes.
I've found my local Lowes has the best 4 X 4's. There's even has rounded edges.
Right now I live in a sandy area, but when I lived in NH (the Granite state) I'd often have to use my rotary hammer to make the hole for the rod. I'd use an auger or paddle drill to make the hole in the wood then use that hole as a guide for the masonry bit.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:10 AM   #6

Quality of 4 by 4 PTW

Square edge or rounded edge; does it matter? My local Lowe's has both.
I would have liked to take a look at "Pro Edge Lumber" but the nearest distributor is 19 miles away.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:16 AM   #7

Quality of 4 by 4 PTW

The round edge to me just looks better and there less chance of splinters or the outside edge getting damaged.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:27 AM   #8

Quality of 4 by 4 PTW

I'll be going to Lowe's today to pick out some wood and the hardware. I only need four 4 by 4s by 8 foot. Over the winter, I started a Spring job jar and I have 6 of them to do. One of them is the installation of a motorize awning thats 10.5 long with a projection of 10 feet. All the parts are European made (none of that China stuff). hefty price too, at about 3100.00 delivered. But thats what you pay for quality. So I have question for the electrical forum which I will post shortly.

Last edited by rjordan392; 03-17-2014 at 08:56 AM.