Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-12-2012, 02:23 PM   #1

Share |

Putting a gate on composite fence

Hi All,
I just finished putting up a composite fence that used 2 5/8" steel posts with a 4x4 composite sleeve that slipped over the steel post. I've left a 48" opening to put in my gate.
My question is can I use the existing tube/sleeve post to anchor my gate to or will it be too flimsy?
I dug the hole for this anchor post extra deep and wide and put in extra concrete in anticipation of supporting a gate. This made the steel post very sturdy and solid. My concern is the play and wobble between the post and the sleeve. Even with several self tappers securing the sleeve to the post it still wiggles.

If its not recommended to use this post then that leads to my next questions.
I assume the best thing to do will be to put a solid wood 4x4 right next to the composite one.
How do I chip away the existing concrete anchor to make room for the new, abutting post without weakening the anchor too much? I've tried using my pickax but I think the tip will break off far before I get enough concrete chipped away.
Are there any other options I could try to remove the concrete or even s completely different approach to the issue?

I've included some pictures of the fence, opening and exposed concrete to help.

Thanks!
Jason

Putting a gate on composite fence-forumrunner_20120512_152216.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Putting a gate on composite fence-forumrunner_20120512_152307.jpg   Putting a gate on composite fence-forumrunner_20120512_152333.jpg  
j_sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 03:49 PM   #2

build a box form just 1/2" to 1" bigger around then the composite post down to the concrete footing and have it over lap the composite post at ground level.pour quick set concrete mix down into the form.wash off that concrete footing so the new stuff has something to grab onto..drill thru the composite at ground level then slip aluminum rods thru so the pour catches them....just an idea

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 04:22 PM   #3

Thanks for the suggestion.
If I understand it correctly you are saying to just reinforce the existing post with added concrete and not to add a new post correct?
Do you think the composite post is strong enough to support a 42" gate?
j_sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 06:12 PM   #4

how far up the composit post does that iron pole go.yes i'm suggesting just do that concrete add on without the added 4x4.might consider just ace'n out the composit post and go with a pressure treated into all new concrete remove the entire problem. another brain storm....any chance that composite could slide over a 4x4 cut just so the hollow composit slides down over it then concrete in the entire thing....that 4x4 add on still is connecting to the composite and adding weight plus the 42" gate

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote