Push Mower Runs Rough, Then Super Smooth - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-03-2014, 10:22 PM   #1
Chris from Philadelphia

Rewards Points: 103

Push mower runs rough, then super smooth

I have a push mower. To start it, I push the primer button 3 times, pull the cord, and it starts right up first pull. It runs, but it doesn't run smooth. The tank of gas lasts, say, a half hour. The mower runs rough for 26 minutes, but then for the last 4 minutes it runs like a champ. This has been going on for a while, so today I emptied the gas tank and put fresh gas in. Unfortunately, the problem is still there.

So what could cause this?

Advertisement

hellohello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 10:33 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,224

The choke is not functioning correctly.

ED

Advertisement

de-nagorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 11:19 PM   #3
Rob

Rewards Points: 550

Start it 26 minutes before you want to mow.
Somebody had to say it.
Robpo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Robpo For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (05-04-2014)
Old 05-04-2014, 08:09 AM   #4
Chris from Philadelphia

Quote:
Originally Posted by de-nagorg View Post
The choke is not functioning correctly.

ED
What might be causing the choke to not function properly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robpo View Post
Start it 26 minutes before you want to mow.
Somebody had to say it.
Old 05-04-2014, 08:32 AM   #5

Not connected to throttle cable, possibly missing spring, . Need to remove the air filter, inspect the mechanism,

Have you ever cleaned the air filter?

ED
Old 05-04-2014, 01:15 PM   #6
Chris from Philadelphia

Quote:
Originally Posted by de-nagorg View Post
Not connected to throttle cable, possibly missing spring, . Need to remove the air filter, inspect the mechanism,

Have you ever cleaned the air filter?

ED
Thanks Ed. Yes, the air filter is clean. I removed the air filter while the mower was running, and it was still running rough.

Just curious, why would the choke mechanism cause the mower to run rough the whole time except for the last 4-5 minutes when it runs smooth when the gas tank is just about empty?
Old 05-04-2014, 03:14 PM   #7

Rough performance is usually caused by a restricted airway, just like us if we have a restricted airway we perform poorly also.

It is likely just a coincidence that your mower begins to perform better at nearly out of gas.

I still suggest that you clean or replace your filter, and check the choke mechanism for proper function.

I cannot do it myself, I be too far away. And if you are not experienced with these engines I suggest that you get a lawnmower tech to do it.

ED
Old 05-04-2014, 10:04 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 256

Does it stop running rough after running 26 minutes or when the tank gets low? Have you tried starting it with just a little gas in the tank?
msaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 10:35 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by msaeger View Post
Does it stop running rough after running 26 minutes or when the tank gets low? Have you tried starting it with just a little gas in the tank?
Now that is a good test to run. I should have thought of it.

ED
Old 05-05-2014, 07:46 AM   #10
Chris from Philadelphia

Quote:
Originally Posted by msaeger View Post
Yes, it starts running smooth when the tank gets pretty low. And yes, if the tank is empty and I put just a couple splashes of gas in there, it runs smoothly. I'm still unsure why
Old 05-05-2014, 09:17 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 79

I had a similar problem a few years ago with my push mower. I tried everything I could think of. I finally replaced the carb and while I was at it, took the gas tank off and cleaned it out. Once I did that, it ran great. The only problem I had was I had to pump a few more times than I used to.
Centex2011 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 06:57 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 524

As the fuel gets lower in the tank, the pickup tube may be able to draw in a little air with the fuel. This in effect slightly leans out the engine. Under normal conditions this is not too noticeable. With a slightly sticky choke, it becomes real noticeable. The carb may need to be cleaned out a bit. Regular automotive carb cleaner usually will do the trick. Spray it in and around all the moving parts of the carb and see if it loosens up the mechanism. It may be that the choke is opening most of the way, it just needs to get the rest of the way open. This all assumes that nobody has messed with anything as far as adjustments or my father-in-law did not own the mower before you did. He has a tendency to run into things and has messed up/bent more linkages on mowers that I can count. In fact I don't buy mowers any more, I just wait till he wrecks one and I take the old one and fix it.
danpik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 07:31 AM   #13
Chris from Philadelphia

Quote:
Originally Posted by danpik View Post
As the fuel gets lower in the tank, the pickup tube may be able to draw in a little air with the fuel. This in effect slightly leans out the engine. Under normal conditions this is not too noticeable. With a slightly sticky choke, it becomes real noticeable. The carb may need to be cleaned out a bit. Regular automotive carb cleaner usually will do the trick. Spray it in and around all the moving parts of the carb and see if it loosens up the mechanism. It may be that the choke is opening most of the way, it just needs to get the rest of the way open. This all assumes that nobody has messed with anything as far as adjustments or my father-in-law did not own the mower before you did. He has a tendency to run into things and has messed up/bent more linkages on mowers that I can count. In fact I don't buy mowers any more, I just wait till he wrecks one and I take the old one and fix it.
This makes good sense, thanks! I'm going to take it apart this coming weekend and I'll update the thread on what I find or if what I do corrects the problem.
Old 05-06-2014, 05:56 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 10

sounds to me like something is impeding or weighing down on fuel intake. There should be no issue with it running smoothly without air in fuel tank. What kind of fuel are you filling with?
GeturDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 06:23 PM   #15
Chris from Philadelphia

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeturDun View Post
sounds to me like something is impeding or weighing down on fuel intake. There should be no issue with it running smoothly without air in fuel tank. What kind of fuel are you filling with?
Regular 89 unleaded fuel

Advertisement