Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-12-2011, 08:59 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

pruning huge pine trees

Hey all,

I've got a row of 30-40 foot high pines in my backyard along the edge of my property. There are about 15 of them. They are rather randomly placed, some trunks as close as 6 feet from the next. So they are either natural, or perhaps were planted 13 years ago when the house was built.

Their canopy has somewhat combined. The neighbor behind us recently cut down a bunch of his trees. So now, much more sun hits my pines in the AM.

Most of the lower branches on my pines in the 6-15 foot sections of the 30-40 foot tall trees don't have needles. They are just long branches with nothing on them except a few needs on the very ends.

So can I somehow prune or do something with these lower sections to bring them back? Now that the neighbor cut his trees, we lost a lot of privacy.

The trees are in and around a natural drainage ditch so I'm sure they get plenty of water.

Thanks.

denemante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 09:09 AM   #2
Learning by Doing

pruning huge pine trees

Quote:
Originally Posted by denemante View Post

So can I somehow prune or do something with these lower sections to bring them back?
\
Nope. Sorry. The vast majority of pine trees only bud new growth from the apical tip. The central stem is dominant and the apical bud produces a hormone (auxin - I think) that inhibits lateral bud growth.

Sorry you lost your privacy. You could always cut some of the pines down and replace them with more compact evergreens that do not get as tall.

Old 05-12-2011, 10:32 AM   #3

pruning huge pine trees

Wow, great info!

The area is still actually somewhat shaded, especially if I leave the pines. Additionally, there is question on whether a few of the pines are on my property or not - so I may not be able to chop them down.

I believe they suck a lot of water and may stop other trees from getting enough. But is there some sort of low light bush or tree I could plant in a straight line about 5 feet or so in front of these pines?
denemante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 11:24 AM   #4
Learning by Doing

pruning huge pine trees

What's your location? I don't love Ilex (holly), but it can handle understory light and co-mingling with pines. Also, when pruned it can be dense evergreen screen. If you get a female you get pretty berries that the birds love.

Cons for me: spiky leaves drop in the yard are hard on bare feet. Birds eating the berries can leave 'presents' on your car, house, etc.
Old 05-13-2011, 06:21 AM   #5

pruning huge pine trees

If you want a dense and attractive privacy screen I would recommend the Blue Hetzi Juniper.
I have them all along my 75' driveway and it is a dense screen that I shear vertically for a nice effect. My privacy hedge is now 8-10' in height. Another plus, I have many wrens, finches and songbirds nesting in them.
Height: 5-7' Width: 8-10'Zone: 4Good for screening and adding color and texture to the landscape. Vigorous growing, semi-erect dense branching habit assumes a fountain-like shape displaying frosty-blue foliage. Ideal for low hedges and foundation plantings.24-30" B & B
30-36" B & B

Last edited by GulfCoastRick; 05-13-2011 at 06:23 AM.
GulfCoastRick is offline   Reply With Quote