Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-16-2011, 08:39 AM   #1

Share |

pruning before spring

Well up here its starting to warm up a little bit, and the hedges and trees are looking a little ragged... no leaves on them yet or anything, is it a good idea to prune now? or should I wait for leaves? none of them are flowering plants

BlueBSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 09:35 AM   #2

pruning before spring

Not an arborist, or anything close, but we have quite an assortment of trees, bushes, etc., on which we do a lot of trimming over the winter, with no adverse affects that I have ever seen. It's a good reason to be outdoors, you can see what you are doing better with the foliage out of the way, and I have always figured that the extra clothing that you need in cooler temperatures offers a bit more protection against poison ivy, etc. Hedges, as an example, I will usually trim just the larger limbs back, and wait until spring, when everything is coming to life again, to do more precise trimming. But, in the case of apple trees, I work my way from the center out every winter, nipping suckers, and removing any dead, diseased, or otherwise unwanted limbs. Some people leave ornamental grasses and things like that alone until spring, but we always cut those back in the fall or early winter, when we don't have to be as selective.

DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 11:52 PM   #3

pruning before spring

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterII
Not an arborist, or anything close, but we have quite an assortment of trees, bushes, etc., on which we do a lot of trimming over the winter, with no adverse affects that I have ever seen. It's a good reason to be outdoors, you can see what you are doing better with the foliage out of the way, and I have always figured that the extra clothing that you need in cooler temperatures offers a bit more protection against poison ivy, etc. Hedges, as an example, I will usually trim just the larger limbs back, and wait until spring, when everything is coming to life again, to do more precise trimming. But, in the case of apple trees, I work my way from the center out every winter, nipping suckers, and removing any dead, diseased, or otherwise unwanted limbs. Some people leave ornamental grasses and things like that alone until spring, but we always cut those back in the fall or early winter, when we don't have to be as selective.
You should always do your trimming late summer or early spring. Cold weather could hurt newly trimmed areas. Always trim when you see your plant, tree, or shrub growing and not when it's dormant.
KTBrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 05:01 AM   #4
paper hanger and painter

pruning before spring

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBSH View Post
Well up here its starting to warm up a little bit, and the hedges and trees are looking a little ragged... no leaves on them yet or anything, is it a good idea to prune now? or should I wait for leaves? none of them are flowering plants

yes
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 05:04 AM   #5
paper hanger and painter

pruning before spring

[quote=KTBrewer;611727]You should always do your trimming late summer or early spring. Cold weather could hurt newly trimmed areas. Always trim when you see your plant, tree, or shrub growing and not when it's dormant.[/quote]

Not necessarily true, depends on what you are pruning. Most deciduous trees, dormant is the BEST time to prune
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote