Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-07-2011, 03:36 PM   #1

Share |

Protect Snow Thrower scoop from wear?

Hi;
My snow thrower is only in it's 2nd season, but I am noticing some very light wear at the edge of the scoop. It's from hitting uneven sidewalks, etc and just normal wear. Unfortunately, much of the area I need to use the machine on is concrete, which is much harder on the scoop than asphalt is.
I am wondering if there is a strip of Teflon that I could get to place onto the scoop to protect it from such wear.

Thanks

FW

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
KE2KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 05:22 PM   #2

Teflon will not protect the bottom edge.

You need to select a slower forward speed.

Go too fast and the bottom edge catches on a crack or bump with a tremendous "THUNK", the snow blower bucks and bobs, and the bottom edge can get deformed.
Old 01-07-2011, 05:24 PM   #3
Master General ReEngineer

Quote:
I am wondering if there is a strip of Teflon that I could get to place onto the scoop to protect it from such wear.
Ayuh,... You mean the cutting edge at the bottom,..??

It's a replaceable/ adjustable wear part...

If it's scrapping to much, adjust the front skis down abit, or the cutting edge up....
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 05:26 PM   #4
Experienced

I did mine with UHMW, high strength plastic, sharpened on the bottom. But it is a wear item as mentioned.
Old 01-07-2011, 05:56 PM   #5

Hey, thanks for pointing out the fact that the shave plate is a replaceable part, as are the skid shoes.

I have been running the machine at the lowest speed on concrete, and any area where it tends to catch. I have found that a slight downward pressure is necessary on the handle to keep the machine from catching and bucking on concrete.

I have thought of raising the skid shoes slightly, but have not yet. They are at factory default setting.
The reason why I am hesitant to do so, is that I will then leave a film of snow/ice on the surface. But I suppose I should experiment.

Thanks

FW

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-07-2011, 06:18 PM   #6

Quote:
I have thought of raising the skid shoes slightly, but have not yet. They are at factory default setting.
Ayuh,... You Lower the skids, or Raise the cuttin' edge.....
Old 01-07-2011, 06:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondo View Post
Ayuh,... You Lower the skids, or Raise the cuttin' edge.....
Sorry about that. I meant lowering the skid shoes. My bad.

Old 01-12-2011, 11:09 AM   #8

Hey, thanks guys, for advising me on lowering the skid shoes
I did it yesterday, and it snowed overnight. What a difference! No bucking on the concrete, and I was able to run as the 2nd notch instead of the 1st which I had been using pretty much exclusively.

In the instructions, there was a line that I had apparently completely missed during assembly. It said that the skid shoes had been put in the up position for shipping, and that they should be adjusted as necessary.

I am pissed at myself for having overlooked something so obvious. When the machine was bucking on the concrete, I just thought it was normal for that surface. I was getting around the problem by putting constant downward pressure on the handle, which basically caused the scoop to ride slightly higher and allow a smoother ride on the concrete.

Don't know what I thought the skid shoes were there for.
Funny thing is that I did read the instructions prior to assembling the machine. I guess I got distracted. But I really should have been able to figure out what was happening when it was bucking. Now, I have used the machine a total of six times, and, I think that had I not come here and posted about wear to the shave plate, I might have run it another five times before figuring this out.

I have to seriously re-think my thinking... like, re-program my brain??
If only I could plug myself into a USB port and get it all done. Then I wouldn't need to come on here and ask questions that sound so dumb

Thanks again

FW

Old 01-12-2011, 02:04 PM   #9

Ayuh,... Glad to hear it worked out for ya,....

'n Thank You for comin' back with the Update,...