Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-11-2013, 11:01 AM   #1

Share |

Proper Paver Base for Patio?

Hello Group,

I am new to this app so if I am doing this wrong, I apologize!

We had a "sunken" patio area dug out from a landscaper. We have purchased the retaining wall blocks and are wanting to lay down pavers, as well. The area is quite small - approximately 10' x 10'.

When it rains, the area fills with water and does NOT drain. My question is, is there a special sand that helps with water absorption that we need to put down first, instead of regular sand?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Tania

taniadiane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 11:35 AM   #2

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

Proper Paver Base for Patio?

Your paver base (compacted road base) should be sloped in the direction of planned drainage. After compacting, screeding off any humps will give you a profle for finished grade. Then, just add a 1" uniform thickness of screeded uncompacted concrete sand setting bed. You can expect a 1/4" or so maximum settlement after the final vibration with a plate compacter to draw sand into the tight joints and true up the finished paver surface. Your edge restraint can be used as reference for the top of the finished paver surface and the smoothed out compacted base.

Do not try to control the surface elevation by adding sand, since with too much sand in some areas the pavers can "swim" if you get a lot of rain.

Dick

concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote