Privacy Tree Suggestions For NW - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-08-2014, 01:41 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Privacy tree suggestions for NW

Greetings,

We just finished some re-grading and the building of a retaining wall. Now we are starting to think about plantings. We would like to plant some privacy trees along the top of the retaining wall to block view of neighbors house (see picture). We live in Seattle and the picture is facing east. Right side of the yard gets good sun first half of the day, while the left side gets good sun for the later half of the day.

We don't want just a row of Arborvitaes. Instead, a variety of colors would be nice. Would prefer something with a mature height of 15-20 ft with a max width (or prunable width) of 10ft. Perhaps, Golden Cypress? Any ideas?

Thanks,
-Andrew
Attached Thumbnails
Privacy tree suggestions for NW-image-4-.jpg  

Advertisement

techdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 04:20 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 29

Privacy tree suggestions for NW

I like the Arborvitaes because you can shape them any way you want. I also like queen palm, but I don't think its hot enough in seattle for them.
If you want some beautiful color check out maple trees…just keep in mind that they are very leafy and release a lot of trash so when planting them don't plant them too close to the property line just in case your neighbor is a picky person like mine. Another bonus about maple trees is that depending on the species they can be drought tolerant.
Tatarian Maple grows about 15-20' and others grow as big as 100'.

but my suggestion is to take into consideration the weather in your town and the amount of work you want in the fall.

Advertisement

mrs5150 is offline   Reply With Quote