Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-02-2010, 03:20 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Privacy between property

I have recently built a new house in the country. However, we had a person move a trailer house just across the line from us. Probably with in 200 feet of us. They are great people however just don't like the idea of them being that close. We have a small tree line that is in between us and when the leaves are full it will block us, however in the fall and winter it is bare. We have thought about planting cedar or pine trees in a strategic pattern to help with privacy and also wind block in winter. That would obviously take a while to get any relief so a friend of ours had a suggestion that I thought was a little far out. He suggested placing light poles along tree line that were about 20 foot tall and 15-20 ft apart from each other. Then string cable or mesh across them and start a vine fence that the vines can climb on. He thought that with some sort of an aggressive vine we could see some value out of it in a couple of years. Does this sound crazy and is there even any vines that will climb like that and serve that purpose.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated as well.

Nayr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 05:54 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

Privacy between property

Does this sound crazy and is there even any vines that will climb like that and serve that purpose.

Yup, it sounds crazy. There are vines that would fit the bill (trumpet vine or wisteria) but it will look pretty bad- at least in my opinion. If you are planning on being in this house for awhile, do it right, and plant a mix of trees and shrubs that will mature into a natural-looking screen.

GardenConcepts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 08:56 AM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Privacy between property

Quote:
Originally Posted by GardenConcepts View Post
Does this sound crazy and is there even any vines that will climb like that and serve that purpose.

Yup, it sounds crazy. There are vines that would fit the bill (trumpet vine or wisteria) but it will look pretty bad- at least in my opinion. If you are planning on being in this house for awhile, do it right, and plant a mix of trees and shrubs that will mature into a natural-looking screen.
Agreed. And turn your back on any aggressive vine (or plant of any type for that matter) for more than an hour and you will have a long term maintenance nightmare on your hands.

I just moved from one of the nation's first urban forests. The arborists put out a great guide to all types of trees, for different purposes (including fast growth), they found offered the best potential for diversity and long term health of the overall tree populations. Their hope is that people will not plant all the same type of trees so that a blight or bug wipes everything out. You might see what is available from your ag extension people?

And rather than just planting a screen of trees like Revolutionary War soldiers, why not place things a bit more strategically to block windows and so forth? Trees will be a lot easier to prune if you can get around them. You will still get the privacy and wind blocking effects when they mature.

Last edited by user1007; 03-03-2010 at 08:59 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 09:14 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

Privacy between property

One of the 1st things I did here was plant trees - small twigs for the most part
Some of these were transplanted from my last house

I've ordered from different vendors & this past Spring just oprder another 32 trees from Cold Sream Farms
Decent prices on bulk orders & as little as 4 trees - same kind
http://www.coldstreamfarm.net/

I like birch trees & I have 3 that are in very good locations & are now are 15' tall
I planted 1 red leaf birch that was 8' out from the old patio initially - wife didn't know why
With the new sunroom deck it now borders the deck
Its now getting big enough to trim & will provide some shade for the house & deck
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 11:05 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 250

Privacy between property

I would spring for tall trees that will do the job and look more natural. I've bought small trees from http://www.fast-growing-trees.com/PrivacyTrees.htm

and they do grow quickly, but it seems like you'll want their bigger trees, as these do take a year or so to really get going.
Allison1888 is offline   Reply With Quote