Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2010, 01:56 PM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 5
Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Default

Preparing Surface for Seeding


I'm wanting to prepare my yard surface for seeding of the best lawn I can seed. However, the current state of the surface is extremely rough, dry, and has thick grassy chunks in it. I'm attaching a photo of the surface where I want to seed.

What kind of work am I going to have to do on this surface to prepare it for seeding? Is digging up the grassy chunks and weeds, then pouring over some horse dung likely enough? Or, do I need to do more?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dan.
Attached Thumbnails
Preparing Surface for Seeding-grass_seeding.jpg  

pumpkinpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 11:24 AM   #2
Don't know it all, yet!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Metro Atlanta, GA
Posts: 910
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Preparing Surface for Seeding


1. What size area are you planning on doing?
2. How much work do you want to put into it?
3. Can you operate any equipment- rototiller, tractor, etc.?
4. What is your budget?
5. What grass do you want to plant?
6. Where are you? Always give your location on landscaping posts!

__________________
If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right. If you wouldn't put your name on it, it ain't done right!
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 12:30 PM   #3
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 5
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Preparing Surface for Seeding


1. What size area are you planning on doing?

*** I plan on doing about 3 acres or so, so a quite large area.

2. How much work do you want to put into it?

*** I'm ready to put in as much work as it requires, and do it all myself, so long as it's cost-effective.

3. Can you operate any equipment- rototiller, tractor, etc.?

*** No, I'd want to do it mostly by hand without any major equipment.

4. What is your budget?

*** About $2000 to $3000.

5. What grass do you want to plant?

*** I have no idea, I'm in Western Montana, so anything that would grow here and that looks great. I'm planting the grass mostly to improve the re-sale value of the property.

Thanks . . .
D.
pumpkinpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 10:17 AM   #4
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 16
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Preparing Surface for Seeding


3 acres....by hand!?!?
D-2.5-GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 10:25 AM   #5
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 5
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Preparing Surface for Seeding


3 acres....by hand!?!?

*** No silly, with a shovel of course. :-)
pumpkinpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 12:19 PM   #6
Custom User Title
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 352
Rewards Points: 6
Default

Preparing Surface for Seeding


I'm in the process of doing something similar but on a much smaller scale. I'm reseeding about 2500 sqft of my yard. It was full of weeds so I killed all the grass/weeds with round up. Then I removed some stumps (as much as I could). This coming weekend I'll rent a rear tine-tiller and go over the parts that don't have roots. Once that is done I'll have some topsoil trucked in and I'll spread that over the stumps and roots so I have enough cover for the grass to root. Then I'll plant the seed and cover with straw. I'm hoping that all of the seeding will be done by September 19th. Blah.
no1hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 12:56 PM   #7
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 5
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Preparing Surface for Seeding


Quote:
Originally Posted by no1hustler View Post
I'm in the process of doing something similar but on a much smaller scale. I'm reseeding about 2500 sqft of my yard. It was full of weeds so I killed all the grass/weeds with round up. Then I removed some stumps (as much as I could). This coming weekend I'll rent a rear tine-tiller and go over the parts that don't have roots. Once that is done I'll have some topsoil trucked in and I'll spread that over the stumps and roots so I have enough cover for the grass to root. Then I'll plant the seed and cover with straw. I'm hoping that all of the seeding will be done by September 19th. Blah.
How exactly are you killing the weeds? What is "round up"?

Dan.
pumpkinpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 01:11 PM   #8
Custom User Title
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 352
Rewards Points: 6
Default

Preparing Surface for Seeding


Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkinpatch View Post
How exactly are you killing the weeds? What is "round up"?

Dan.
I used Round-Up Concentrate.


I bought a $15 tank sprayer and mixed 1 gallon of water with 6 oz of RO. I had to spray some things a couple times to kill it.
no1hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 01:23 PM   #9
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 5
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Preparing Surface for Seeding


Quote:
Originally Posted by no1hustler View Post
I used Round-Up Concentrate.


I bought a $15 tank sprayer and mixed 1 gallon of water with 6 oz of RO. I had to spray some things a couple times to kill it.
Thank you, that's helpful. I'm going to remove as many rocks as well and tough patches, but I like your idea of laying down top soil thick enough so the new seeding can take root. I'll check the phd balance too. I'm wondering if there's anything more complicated about it. Why are you laying hay after you seed?
pumpkinpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 03:15 PM   #10
Custom User Title
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 352
Rewards Points: 6
Default

Preparing Surface for Seeding


Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkinpatch View Post
Thank you, that's helpful. I'm going to remove as many rocks as well and tough patches, but I like your idea of laying down top soil thick enough so the new seeding can take root. I'll check the phd balance too. I'm wondering if there's anything more complicated about it. Why are you laying hay after you seed?
I'm going to put straw down to help keep erosion at bay. It also helps keep the seed cooler so it doesn't dry out.

This is what it looks like after the grass/weeds have been killed. I took the stumps out this past weekend.


no1hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
grass, seeding


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Solid Surface vs Granite and Quartz jbeall General DIY Discussions 26 03-15-2011 03:49 PM
need to slightly raise deck surface Jeremy Hillary Boob, PhD Building & Construction 3 09-01-2009 09:44 AM
Question on preparing surface for Ceramic Tile Rferret Flooring 3 07-20-2008 12:08 PM
Hot surface ignitor problems hateheater HVAC 2 01-30-2008 06:26 PM
Another name for surface wiring/wire-mold? fw2007 Electrical 4 01-09-2008 04:56 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.