Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-18-2011, 08:24 AM   #1

Share |

Pre-grass ground cover

I am having a portion of my lawn sodded (zoysia) and can't afford to sod it all. I am going to sprig the rest of it but want to seed something in the interim to keep the topsoil from washing away. Anyone know of anything that seeds fast and easy that the zoysia can easily take over?

sippinjoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 08:48 AM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Pre-grass ground cover

Nothing much cheaper or better suited for your situation than ANNUAL not PERRENIAL ryegrass. Prep the soil well and it will germinate in 5-7 days and if you feed and water it will look decent for exactly one growing season. Just be diligent about mowing so it does not go to seed and broadcast itself all over the place where you do not want it. Not sure where to get it standalone this late in the season but do you have a real nursery, feed/seed store, etc. around? My local, not box store, hardware store use to carry turf seed open stock this time of year. Might be able to get it online?

Worse case? Look for contractor blends and check the label on the back. Such blends will have a high percentage of annual rye but unfortunately other turf grass seed you probably don't want if the plan overall is zoysia.

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 08:53 AM   #3

Pre-grass ground cover

We have a John Deere lawn supply store, all the contractors get their products from there and I've purchased stuff there before. I'll check it out. Thanks for the advice. Sounds like a winner.
sippinjoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 08:55 AM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Pre-grass ground cover

By the way, if you haven't committed to the sod job already? Have you looked into the possibility of hydroseeding? It would be a fraction of the cost of sodding and you can establish a lawn faster. You might be able to do your whole lawn for what you were planning to spend on sod for part of it. I am not sure it will work for Zoysia though if that is what you have your heart set on. Might be worth looking into? You can find hydroseeders in your area by searching online.

Hydroseeding involves mixing seed, fertilizer and a crust material in a slurry and spraying it all on a well prepared soil area. It germinates very quickly and because it is a seeded situation you do not run the risk of transplant shock you do getting a sod layer to bond with your soil.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote