Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-19-2013, 06:55 AM   #1

Share |

power washer

Hooray. Finally rented a power washer that works and they hooked up the hoses this time before I left the store. It's 2,500 psi and a bit tiring to use, but I had it yesterday afternoon and now today so can take breaks. I'll be curious to see how long it takes before the black mold/algae return?

The sidewalk and the part of the drive that's finished look brand new. I do have to hold the nozzle just a few inches from the concrete to get it clean. I will use it on stone/brick edging pavers also today, then the patio.

I had a thought, since it's doing such a great job. I know this isn't a car forum, but my white Toyota, unfortunately I haven't waxed for 5 yrs, has sat outside and is covered in gray mildew spots. I tried buffing out the gray spots with some kind of rubbing compound and it was hard, but they came off. I wonder what would happen if I used this power washer on my car?

I also have some expensive pvc patio furniture which has fabric slings to hold cushions. The slings are dull. I'm tempted to use the power washer on them also. I guess I just want to power wash everything. I'd use it inside the garage on the floor also, but I'm afraid the excess spray would get the drywall too wet.

Last edited by Startingover; 05-19-2013 at 07:06 AM.
Startingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:01 AM   #2

power washer

I'm glad you are asking Before you start. I don't think thats a good idea. Those power washers are intense and will no doubt chip the paint right off.

Try it on a piece of wood and see the nice dent it leaves. Somebody will correct me if I'm wrong

Id be inclined to try it on the furniture, but stand back a bit to lessen the pressure

Last edited by creeper; 05-19-2013 at 07:03 AM.
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to creeper For This Useful Post:
Startingover (05-19-2013)
Old 05-19-2013, 08:18 AM   #3

power washer

creepers,
of course I'm having trouble today. First my hand is cramping. Too bad the pressure on the handle isn't less. I'll try left handed. I understand the maker doesn't want someone dropping the handle and having it go wild so there's no way to tie the handle open.

Biggest problem is that (Honda) the engine died. There's still some gas. Maybe I'll refill it anyway. But I may have left the choke on. The choke isn't marked well for on/off. Would that let the engine run about 10 min then cause it to shut off?

I can't even hardly pull the cord now, it feels too tight to pull. I'll let it (and me) cool off then try again.
Old 05-19-2013, 08:40 AM   #4
Mod

power washer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startingover View Post
I can't even hardly pull the cord now, it feels too tight to pull. I'll let it (and me) cool off then try again.
Pull the trigger on the wand to release the pressure and then try to start it again.

If it's still to hard to get the motor to turn pull the trigger on the wand at the same time as you pull the the cord on the motor, just long enough to allow the motor to turn over.
The Following User Says Thank You to kwikfishron For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2013, 08:42 AM   #5

power washer

Did you check the oil level before starting?
Old 05-19-2013, 08:48 AM   #6

power washer

thank you.

Ok, I will try the wand handle. I just filled up the gas tank.

Joe,
No I didn't check the oil. It was just picked up yesterday afternoon at the rental place so assumed they did all that. (i'll do it now)

Let it cool 30 min and the pull rope won't let me pull it.

FACING the PW, below the white choke lever theres another gray lever they said NOT to touch. When the choke is off should it face the same way and the gray lever under it. I just never used a choke before. Under both levers is the word, "ON". Does that apply to both levers, if so I'd know which direction is on or off for the choke.
Old 05-19-2013, 08:58 AM   #7

power washer

i have power washed many a car. no issues.

a choke should be left on only long enough to keep the engine running.

did you check the oil yet ? a freind just blew a hole in her lawn mower engine = no oil.
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fix'n it For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2013, 10:00 AM   #8

power washer

ok, the trick was holding the handle open. Thank you.

I was wearing flip flops and accidentally ran it over my toes and took a layer of skin off. It really hurts!

P.S.
the patio looks beautiful. There are a few streaks but it's the best I could do. I think with the sun, in time, it will all even out and besides no one but me would notice the streaks. Under the black mold there was green stuff. I bought the house last yr and doubt it's been cleaned for 10 yrs. Around the patio is a short wrought iron fence and next to that are pavers which I also cleaned. I put the bird bath on the ground and stood over it. When I hit it with the pressure washer a lot of gunk flew back onto my face. I hope I didn't swallow any mold.

Last edited by Startingover; 05-19-2013 at 10:34 AM.
Old 05-19-2013, 10:05 AM   #9

power washer

sorry...meant to warn you..
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to creeper For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2013, 06:29 PM   #10

power washer

Well.......I was just insulted.

Finishing up the drive, in front, and a very nice,sincere young kid stopped by and said, "I could have done that for you for only $50".

The insulting part was he then added, "and I wouldn't have left all those little marks".

I had been thinking how proud I was and how great it looks. Anyway he didn't know there was a big patio and 2 sidewalks also.
Old 05-19-2013, 07:47 PM   #11

power washer

This was my first year with a power washer too. Huge fun. So satisfying. I am always scared that ill pulverize something with it. I also had to dig in on my brick to clean it. Tried 3 different cleaners for the moss/algae, but none helped. Just needed water power.
Amateuralex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Amateuralex For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2013, 09:40 PM   #12

power washer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startingover View Post

I was wearing flip flops and accidentally ran it over my toes and took a layer of skin off. It really hurts!
Never, ever. As you've learned, power washers can do real damage to your body. Power washing is a boots-only operation.

I've heard of people losing toes to infection after causing some very serious cuts in their feet. The power washer cut through the sneakers they were wearing, and then cut through their toes. Having dirty water forced into your body makes wounds VERY difficult to clean.

Not trying to scare you, just trying to show why it's important to be safe!
moondawg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to moondawg For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2013, 05:54 AM   #13

power washer

moondawg,

thanks, did not know that. Believe me next time I will wear heavy leather shoes. These sores are a bit deeper than I thought.

The kid that stopped by had a big round attachment and I think it had a brush. I'll ask about this thing at the rental store.
Old 05-20-2013, 06:07 AM   #14
Mod

power washer

I'm surprised the rental company doesn't provide some safety information with the rental (maybe you could suggest that).

Just to give you an idea of what they're capable of, I own a 3600 psi PW and with the 0 deg. (red tip) I was able to cut a Cedar 2x4 in half in under a minute. Just think of what that could do to flesh.
The Following User Says Thank You to kwikfishron For This Useful Post:
Startingover (05-20-2013)
Old 05-20-2013, 07:02 AM   #15

power washer

kwikfishron, I asked if they had printed directions and they said no.

I think a little tag, laminated to keep from getting wet would be helpful.

Wow, on cutting wood with a 3,600 psi! You have to be strong to handle that size.

Next week I'm renting an edger, which sounds much safer. These tools which, I don't use often, are nice to to rent. No maintenance for me.