Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-29-2012, 03:17 PM   #1

Share |

Portable string trimmers

I searched Sdester, I really did, but got "0" hits ....

Maybe it is my spelling but I tried all sorts of ways..

I am seeing more and more of the battery operated string trimmers being used. I like the idea of the battery powered machines, as my old shoulder is getting tired of yanking on a starter rope ....

What brand name battey powered weed whacker/string trimmer, weed eater/ is everyone getting the best performance from ? Using battery life, power output, parts availability, comfort level of use, etc. as review criteria. thanks in advance

Jeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 03:25 PM   #2
MarginallyQualified

Portable string trimmers

I got a "Worx" brand last year before thinking it through (VISA card shopping points)
It's OK and quite adequate to manage the slow walk around the front half or back half of the lot once a month or so that I use it for.

Had I thought it through before I'd have gotten a heavier (and lithium!) battery...
and chosen a 'series' with other yard tools (blower, hedge trimmer, etc).

hth

TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 04:31 PM   #3

Portable string trimmers

Get something with a lithium ion. I have a knock off from Lowes....its an 18v and works well for my 9000 sq ft lot, but after 4 years, the batteries only hold their charge for about 5 minutes and a replacement battery is $45, which is about $30 less than what I paid for the trimmer. Given that it has lasted me almost 4 years, I think it was worth the $. I also like that most of these newer battery trimmers have batteries that can be used on other lawn care equip. such as a hedge trimmer.
cibula11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:06 PM   #4
It's always something

Portable string trimmers

I was given a Black & Decker cordless weed trimmer a few years ago and I'm pretty surprised. This year, I have used it more than my gas-powered one because it so easy to start and is simply easier all around.

A full charge will last me at least three complete uses in the yard. It has a much thinner string but it still does the job very well and changing the string is MUCH easier than my gas trimmer.

Look into B&D.
SingleGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 08:24 PM   #5

Portable string trimmers

if you have a really large yard with lots of trimming, you'll need something that can stand up to that. Either gas or a nice battery powered one. The cheaper ones use flimsy lines and would not be great if you had to trim along a chain fence or rocks, etc.
cibula11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 09:15 PM   #6
Electrical Contractor

Portable string trimmers

Several months ago in one of my magazines, they talked about a 48 volt unit coming out this summer and being sold at HD.
I can't remember the brand, but the reviews it was more like 52 volts and very efficient.

I have a 12 v B&D that the wife uses around the flowers, but it could never stand up to the weeds in the ditches.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:22 PM   #7

Portable string trimmers

No more gas/oil mixing/rope yanking,carb cleaning- adjusting,breathing blue smoke for me. I bought the B&D electric 32 volt lithium battery string trimmer and B&D 32 volt electric hedge clippers. Both of them working out just great for my two small lawns and 80 ft. honeysuckle fence row.
Jeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:31 PM   #8

Portable string trimmers

I got the Ryobi one, I've only used it once but it worked fine for light trimming and edging. It came with a blower and battery and charger. Same battery/charger my drill uses too. Both are Lithium Ion. Its worth a shot as it is only like $120 for the whole package.
knotquiteawake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:51 AM   #9
Custom User Title

Portable string trimmers

I have a Worx Trimmer/Edger. It works really well. This is the first season of use and I have no issues with the battery. The charge lasts for more than 1 use around my 10,000 sq/ft lot which has 200' +/- of sidewalk. It switches to an edger with ease and the string is nice and strong. I only have to pull it out when I get too close to the sidewalk. Another bonus is you get free string for life. You just pay shipping ($6 or so) and they send you new spools. The only negative so far is the wheel that you ride on when edging is kind of weak. I think I'm going to modify it with a nicer quality wheel but that would be a couple dollar mod.

no1hustler is offline   Reply With Quote