Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-09-2008, 01:07 PM   #1

Share |
Lightbulb

Pond

Clueless...digging a 1/2 acre pond and wondering about the placement. What is a good distance from home? What is a good depth for the pond and how much can I plan on spending for chemicals, an aerator and the excavation (Indiana)?
little73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 02:31 PM   #2

Pond

What do you want the pond to be? Koi, generic feeder goldfish, purely water plants, etc.? I think that'll help decide how deep and where it should be placed.

Koi ponds are recommended to be deeper which steep sides to limit predators like racoons and storks... The plants kepted will help decide the location based on sun vs. shade...

Not sure the cost, I think this can vary greatly depending on the terrain...
slakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 03:39 PM   #3

Pond

I'd check with the building department first. In certain townships around me, a new pond is treated as an ingroud pool and require a fence or barrier. Check your homeowners policy to see if any additional liability insurance is needed.
How big and deep do you plan on making this pond? If it is large, you will have to find a way to fill it and keep it full. You will need clay or purchase bentonite (sp?) to line a large pond.
Old 05-11-2008, 07:32 AM   #4

Pond

we dug a 3/4 acre pond last year. in our county the ag extension service had lots of info about ponds. we have a shallow side for kids swimming, and the other side is steep for fishing. deepest spot is 14'.
billkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 05:17 PM   #5

Pond

Here are some good links I found.

http://www.thedripwebsite.com/PDF/Wa...ctionGuide.pdf

http://www.thepondreport.com/building-a-pond.shtml

Like those before me, I think you'll have to be more specific to get more help here. What purpose do you want it to serve? How do you intend to fill it?

I'm afraid I can't tell you a thing about building it, but if you come back and ask what to plant around it or plants you can put in it, or how to keep fish, I can help.

I hope that helps,
march7
march7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 06:03 PM   #6
Smarty Pants

Pond

Hi!

When I was working for a pond supply and construction firm we did it all; from planning to construction and then supplying aeration etc.

First of all, from what I've seen over the last 12 years, you should expect to follow a few steps:

Contact a few local pond builders and ask for some pricing. We always told our clients that a finished pond would cost in the area of $1 per square foot...since a 1/2 acre pond is about 22,000 square feet we would often ballpary $22,000. Of course this depends on terrain and a good contractor will do a soil sample. Of course we did incredible landscaping and made the pond look like a totally natural pond with rock features, lovely embellished banks and natiral plants along the shoreline.

Many contractors will quote low and dig you a hole that will turn into a muddy mess. Be careful and ask for references!

Your pond, once built, might look rather poor for a couple of years until the vegetaion takes hold and depending on many conditions that we often consulted on.

Aeration in a 1/2 acre pond should cost no more than $2000 and is usually not less than $800. Again...it depends on who you ask. It is best to ask an established firm as we've seen the internet clouded with many so-called experts!

For chemicals...if you build the right pond you won't need any! Perhaps a natural bacteria would help but chemicals can lead to a dependance and even more problems. A pond is a living eco-system and should be treated differently than a swimming pool!

I've worked on many ponds and suggest you do your homework and ask an expert before giving anyone the mandate to "Dig In!"

Have fun!

J

Last edited by J_Miranda; 05-29-2008 at 06:03 PM. Reason: Speeling
J_Miranda is offline   Reply With Quote