DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Landscaping & Lawn Care (http://www.diychatroom.com/f16/)
-   -   Poison oak how? (http://www.diychatroom.com/f16/poison-oak-how-185709/)

bluefoxicy 08-21-2013 09:57 PM

Poison oak how?
 
Apparently nobody told me that ivy was poison oak!

C17 chain polyunsaturated urushiol. Poison ivy gives raised red rashes, short C15 monounsaturated or saturated urushiol (saturated produces no reaction). Poison oak I can recognize by the cluster blisters I get!

Nothing's effective on this stuff. You touch it, you suffer. I had loratadine in my system and I managed to escape most of the retribution for my indiscretion, but what I got was bad. Not to mention the oil soaks into the skin and integrates, so if you don't remove it even effective antihistamines will only delay the reaction.

Now how the hell do I remove it from all the iron fencing in my back yard?! And don't tell me "wear long clothing" because I guarantee you I will get contact infection when taking it off to wash, or the oils will soak through at some points. Any gloves I use will need to be disposed of (and NOT burned--inhaling the smoke is fatal, and if it gets into your eyes it's blinding). I can't compost this stuff--after it dies, the oil remains active for years.

Christ on a bike. This is going to be a turf war and I'm bringing nukes to the party I swear.

Fix'n it 08-21-2013 10:14 PM

lets see a pic.

how about burning it, with a torch.

bluefoxicy 08-21-2013 10:23 PM

BURNING it would be the worst thing. The urushiol will survive, become airborn (like aromatherapy candles or citronella), and then contact with the eyes is blinding and inhalation is fatal.

Mind you I've gotten it in the eyes before, and just became non-reactive for a week (weird reaction, I tend to become non-reactive to systemic poisons in severely compromising situations, not sure why), but I'd rather not chance it. That sounds like a good way to get darwinized.

oh'mike 08-21-2013 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fix'n it (Post 1232499)
lets see a pic.

how about burning it, with a torch.


Oh,god,do not do that!! The smoke can destroy your lungs and cause a slow miserable death.

oh'mike 08-21-2013 10:29 PM

Use clean up or round up---they are not hard to kill----be patient they take a few days to die---

user1007 08-22-2013 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oh'mike (Post 1232514)
Use clean up or round up---they are not hard to kill----be patient they take a few days to die---

You may need several applications too.

And yes, there are the different forms of poison oak, poison ivy and I grew up around poison sumac.

Heard something on NPR this afternoon that goats can eat it with no adverse effects. You just have to be careful not to brush up against their coats after they have been around it.

You might think about some disposable tyvek (or similar) suits and gloves since you seem especially sensitive. If it is going to make you sick or injure you, you may have to bite the bullet and pay somebody to clear it out for you.

bluefoxicy 08-22-2013 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdsester (Post 1232558)
You might think about some disposable tyvek (or similar) suits and gloves since you seem especially sensitive. If it is going to make you sick or injure you, you may have to bite the bullet and pay somebody to clear it out for you.

Not sure what tyvek is. Disposable sounds good.

There's a lot of forms of urushiol, the most reactive being the most unsaturated and the ones with longer chemical chains. Poison oak carries that type so yeah... nasty reaction.

Paying a specialist would probably be good; didn't think people specialized in dangerous plants and nobody wants to just go in there and get all screwed up.

user1007 08-22-2013 07:06 AM

Tyvek is a Dupont trademark for a lightweight material that is extremely tear and puncture resistant. It is used in things like envelopes, bullet proof vests and disposable bunny suits. I used to buy the latter, or the generic form, in bulk from ULINE but a paint store should have either the complete suits or overall type configurations. Here is what they look like and you can get accessories for complete head to toe covering.

http://www.uline.com/BL_982/Tyvek-Protective-Clothing

Next step up would be more absolute HazMat clothing.

There are indeed companies that offer brush removal service including things like poison ivy and poison oak. I am not sure what they charge but they will probably be cheaper than you ending up in the hospital which seems a possibility given your reaction.

Your ag extension people may have a list of such contractors or ask your research librarian if such contractors are not exposed through a yellow pages or internet search.

I thought I had read there is a vaccine availed too but do not hold me to that. And sometimes it is best not to tempt fate?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:43 PM.