Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-30-2008, 11:08 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Cool

Poison Ivy!!!!

I have a garden that I planted in my yard and there is poison ivy growing next to it. I have sweet corn planted there. I need to suggestions on how to kill the poison ivy and not kill the sweet corn and other plants I have in my garden. Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks

swolford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 01:43 PM   #2

Poison Ivy!!!!

Poison ivy is one of the most determined I have had to deal with. You did not mention how large an area we are talking about. I know corn should be 5 stalks by 5 stalks minimum so unless you have acres for your backyard this should be possible.
There are poison ivy herbicides, but the best solution I have found is Roundup. You must get concentrate or super concentrate and mix it up much stronger than recomended. I use a large mouth glass container or plastic one that mayo or pickles comes to restaurants in. That way my solution is already mixed for a quick spot treatment later on. Make sure you have a good quality chemical glove that goes up your arm a little ways and then get a cheap cotton work glove to fit over it. Dip your gloved hand in the mixture and squeeze your fist so that you are not dripping when you leave the jar mouth area. You don't want drips on desirable plants. Then just carefully wipe down several of the ivy leaves on each sprig until they glisten. Be prepared to repeat when you see new growth. It sometimes takes me 2 or 3 years to completely eradicate the area. But after one season of control, you should just check in late spring and that will do it for the year normally. Good luck!

Sasha2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 02:08 PM   #3
remodeling pro

Poison Ivy!!!!

Use a selective herbicide like "Roundup". I find the heavier concentration found in the "heavy brush" formulation works better for poison ivy than the regular. Either way, you will have to be persistant, it's going to take multiple applications as the poison ivy will resprout several times. Let the new growth get a nice complement of leaves before you spray it again, thus allowing more surface area for application of the spray, and remember that even "dead" poison ivy stems and roots still contain the active ingredient for skin irritation.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 10:21 AM   #4
Lawn Care/Handyman Serv.

Poison Ivy!!!!

Agreed. Roundup (Glyphosate is the generic and much cheaper) is a good choice. If you have a large area use a 2 gal. pump up sprayer, or for small areas a small spritzer bottle will work fine. Either one will produce small droplets which will give a more uniform coverage. Also, add a little dish washing liquid. Add it last and shake it up. It acts as a surfactant (wetting agent) that causes the spray to spread out evenly over the leaves and therefore a better kill. A few drops in the small spritzer bottle, or, in the 2 gal. sprayer use about as much as you would for a sink full of dishes (one quick drizzle). Depending on the weather conditions, it may take up to a week of two before you see a good kill because the chemical needs to translocate from the leaves down through the plant to the roots where it then kills it. Works best if the plant is actively growing.

Good luck,

Dave
EZ Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 10:24 AM   #5
Lawn Care/Handyman Serv.

Poison Ivy!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by troubleseeker View Post
Use a selective herbicide like "Roundup". I find the heavier concentration found in the "heavy brush" formulation works better for poison ivy than the regular. Either way, you will have to be persistant, it's going to take multiple applications as the poison ivy will resprout several times. Let the new growth get a nice complement of leaves before you spray it again, thus allowing more surface area for application of the spray, and remember that even "dead" poison ivy stems and roots still contain the active ingredient for skin irritation.

Exactly! And by all means, DO NOT burn the dead plants. The smoke contains the 'itch' ingredient and when injested into your lungs can be very serious.
EZ Rider is offline   Reply With Quote