Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-14-2010, 11:25 AM   #1
boo

Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Question

Please Help with weed issue

I need some help!!!

I am 25 first time home buyer, my backyard grass was all weeds, I was told that I could buy dirt and re-seed it and the weeds would not grow back up.

So about 4 weeks ago. I purchased approx. $700 worth up topsoil & blackloam to top it off, and then I seeded the whole thing. I have been watering it to the directions from company.

I now have baby grass in various spots but, a SH*t load of weeds all over, I just spent almost 2 hours and it does not look like I have done anything. Please help, I have put alot of time and money into this so far and so far I have not gotten anything I wanted out of it.

What is my best way now to get rid of these weeds for good and get some actual grass growing that I can be proud of. If it means to rototill the whole thing and start over I will but I just want to get some help who knows what they are talking about, since the story I heard of putting dirt over the weeds and re-seeding it did not do anything but loss me money.

Thanks in advance

boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 12:34 PM   #2
fabrk8r

Weeds will grow back unless you either dig up the roots or kill the plant using herbicide.

Most weeds will eventually grow back if you just pull them up by hand because you have left a portion of the root. All you did by burying the weed under new topsoil is make the root system even deeper and harder to remove and also give the plant an excellent source of new food.

In your case the best approach might be to get a strong herbicide and saturate the area. let it die off, and then do it again to make sure everything is dead. Then you can re-seed late in the fall, cover with straw and you should have a nice lawn next summer.

If you don't want to use herbicide the next alternative, besides digging up the entire yard, is to cover it with black plastic for at least a month, maybe two months. I'd then let it be for a few weeks to see what pops up. If there are sign s of new weeds, cover it again for a month.

Old 06-14-2010, 12:46 PM   #3
boo

first, thanks for the reply.

So, since I am new at this I have another question. -

- where should I buy a herbicide from? does it matter are some better then others? can you tell me a few good names? I live near a Canadian Tire, Rona and Home Depot, plus a few garden centers.

- When I purchase this, and use it. Do i just spray the weed itself? or do I need to spray the whole lawn?

lastly, after I use this, should I just wait till sept too re-seed then? since it will be middle of summer and its not the best time to seed?

I guess I am asking the proper steps!! I really do not want to mess this up again. I am going to buy the herbicide so proper steps from there. applying it, how many uses? how long too wait till I seed again?

Thanks so much
boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 01:07 PM   #4
fabrk8r

There are a lot of good herbicides, too many for me to list. I suggest you go to a local nursery or garden center and talk to someone there who does lawn care or landscaping.

A local expert would have the best advice for what works in your temperature zone. They should also be able to tell you when to re-seed and which type of grass will work best in your area.

They should be glad to help because that's how they make a living. Like you said yourself, you've already wasted money on some bad advice...why throw good money after bad.

The definition of insanity: Repeating the same mistakes over and over and expecting different results.
Old 06-14-2010, 07:03 PM   #5
Don't know it all, yet!

Quote:
I was told that I could buy dirt and re-seed it and the weeds would not grow back up.
Somebody handed you a load of !@#$. It's entirely possible that the new soil was full of weed seed and I can guarantee you that your yard was.

1. How big is your yard?
2. Do you have irrigation?
3. How much grass did you actually have come up compared to weeds?
4. Can you live with what you have now and work on it or would you rather start over?

Ga Master Gardener
Ga Certifed Landscape Professional
Commercial Pesticide Applicator
certified in Erosion and Sediment Control
Old 06-14-2010, 08:08 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo View Post
I need some help!!!

I am 25 first time home buyer, my backyard grass was all weeds, I was told that I could buy dirt and re-seed it and the weeds would not grow back up.

So about 4 weeks ago. I purchased approx. $700 worth up topsoil & blackloam to top it off, and then I seeded the whole thing. I have been watering it to the directions from company.

I now have baby grass in various spots but, a SH*t load of weeds all over, I just spent almost 2 hours and it does not look like I have done anything. Please help, I have put alot of time and money into this so far and so far I have not gotten anything I wanted out of it.

What is my best way now to get rid of these weeds for good and get some actual grass growing that I can be proud of. If it means to rototill the whole thing and start over I will but I just want to get some help who knows what they are talking about, since the story I heard of putting dirt over the weeds and re-seeding it did not do anything but loss me money.

Thanks in advance
If you ever watch a show on HGTV or a show like This Old House.....what they would do is use a sod cutter to remove all those weeds, put down some good soil/lime/loam, and then lay sod.

With seed, you're going to get competition from the weeds for water and space. Also, your seed won't take root as well during the spring/summer time compared to the fall.
handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 08:11 PM   #7

Down under brings up good points. Kind of hard to give advice on the limited info in your post. Killing your whole yard seems pretty extreme to me. Depending on what the weeds are you might be able to use a selective herbicide that will not kill the grass but do in the weeds. Lawn fertilization will help thicken the grass to help choke out weeds later. Also, how much shade do you have? Lots of grass won't grow in shade at all. If you want a really nice yard of grass your going to have to fertilize and water (properly). Apply a pre-emergent herbicide in the fall to kill cool weather weeds and in the spring to keep the hot weather weeds at bay. If you have a local farmers co-op that might also be a good place to look for herbicides and they might be cheaper. I use Atrazine (sp) as a pre-emirgent here in Arkansas. Not sure where you are so it will likely depend on what you need. Handyman's suggestion is going to cost a bundle depending on your yard size. With patience seed will work, just not overnight. Good Luck

Last edited by Mike in Arkansas; 06-14-2010 at 08:21 PM.
Mike in Arkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 07:02 PM   #8
Don't know it all, yet!

Quote:
I use Atrazine (sp) as a pre-emirgent here in Arkansas.
Just a note of caution: Most of the "zines" can be absorbed into the roots of nearby desirable plants.

Quote:
and water (properly).
The "properly" is forgotten about way too often.

As far as seeding, I did a 100 x 100 area two weeks ago, and if it had been watered, I would be mowing now. I did water it today because it is getting faded looking in 96* temps. We need some rain but not another flood like we had last year and like the midwest just got. This was not prepped at all other than leveling and raking. Straw was used also.
Old 06-15-2010, 07:17 PM   #9

It'll be another season before grass grown from seed is thick enough to survive a drought and/or being trampled over.

handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote