Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-10-2012, 07:52 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Please give advice for newby...

My name is Anthony. I am trying to figure out the best cheap way to get rid of my old lawn and reseed with new grass. The size is about 1/3 of an acre. It is mostly rock and dirt right now but where there is grass it is extremely thick and heavy. Do I just till it and leave the old grass in, taking out the rocks and reseed? If I can't afford to, do I really HAVE to put new soil down?
Also, in another section of my lawn (total yard = 1 acre), another 1/3 section, is mostly moss. I am not sure how this happened, but how do I get rid of the moss and turn it into grass?

Please help me. I am new to this, But extremely willing to learn, so please bear with me. I am not familiar with a lot of landscaping terms. Thank you for your time and efforts.

Last edited by New_guy; 05-10-2012 at 08:09 AM.
New_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:23 AM   #2
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 2,038

Quote:
Originally Posted by New_guy View Post
My name is Anthony. I am trying to figure out the best cheap way to get rid of my old lawn and reseed with new grass.
The best (cheap) way is to rent the proper equipment to do what you can do yourself then to hire out what you can't do yourself.

Doing ANY part of the basic process improperly or poorly or incompletely or with inferior materials is where the costs will start to pile up. (This is true of any remodeling project btw)
---

REMOVE the old sod
Remove anything else that isn't soil (like larger rocks).
Add good clean soil and other amendments as needed
(something is always needed)
ROTO-TILL to work in the old and new soil and amendments.
Roll the lawn flat and smooth paying attention to grading and rain water flow.
Consider some additional drainage and irrigation if appropriate.
Apply a broadleaf herbicide to the raw soil and let that sit for a week or two before doing the seeding.
Then hydroseed and keep it moist.

I think that covers the basics.

The best resource for the specifics will be your County Extension Agent and Scott's

Last edited by TarheelTerp; 05-10-2012 at 08:28 AM.
TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:28 AM   #3

Ok so for a yard of this size, and with all that you have suggested...what kind of price am I looking at? I really have no income as I take care of my father full time for no pay. I get $339/mo from the tribe I am enrolled in and that goes to bills and gas. I really meant chep ha ha. This is something I really want to do, but cant afford to. But I am still trying. Can I do it in steps, or is it best to do all at once?
Old 05-10-2012, 09:18 AM   #4
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 2,038

Quote:
Originally Posted by New_guy View Post
Ok so for a yard of this size, and with all that you have suggested...what kind of price am I looking at?
We don't get into pricing here.
You can call your rental centers to see how much a sod cutter and a roto-tiller cost per day and how much X yards of top soil and all the other amendments costs to have delivered... and the hydroseed too.
The rest is about your time to do the physical work involved.

Quote:
This is something I really want to do, but cant afford to.
Then don't.

Quote:
But I am still trying. Can I do it in steps, or is it best to do all at once?
All at once would be best (and even including your time) will cost less.
TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:21 AM   #5

Ok. I apologize for the asking of price. Im new to the site. I will learn. I really appreciate your time and rapid responses. I will take your feedback and advice graciously.
Old 05-10-2012, 01:11 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 544

buy a cheap soil test at a home center (HD or Lowes). If the soil is really rocky you probably won't have luck with just seeding. If the rocks are just on the top part of the soil and you can till it to get to some better soil, you'll need to till first, rake the rocks out and smooth, then seed and keep well watered for a couple of weeks.

For tilling rental and reseeding, you're looking at a few hundred or so. Sod, you might be looking at thousands.

Any pics you can provide will help give more accurate advice.

cibula11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grass, landscaping, lawn, soil, yard