Plastic Under House - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-25-2013, 04:43 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

Plastic under house

I had plastic tarp laid down on the dirt under the house after my hardwoods started cupping. I wonder what the unintended consequences might be.

puttster

Advertisement

puttster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 04:46 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 536

Plastic under house

Tarp? Should have been 6 mil plastic.
There are 0 draw backs.
Now there's far less chance of the floor bucking, fungus and mold groing on the floor joist and subflooring, less chance of powder post bettles and termites, both need moisture.

Advertisement

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:06 PM   #3

Plastic under house

Slugs, maybe?
Old 03-28-2013, 02:10 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,622

Plastic under house

If the floor boards did indeed cup from moisture under the house a plastic band aid isn't the solution. Besides slugs being possible, there are a host of natures little creatures that would like to live there.

Sow Bugs, Mealy Bugs, Salamanders, Centipedes and the list could go on. So it just depends on what harsh chemicals you should have sprayed with before the plastic that will never get sealed 100 percent or stay sealed if it did. Chlordane comes to mind but that's been outlawed.
SeniorSitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:19 AM   #5

Plastic under house

This might be a drawback. It rained last night and today 10,000 of these worms are crawling up the side of the house. Suggestions?

puttster
Old 05-12-2013, 11:26 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 85

Plastic under house

If you have hardwood cupping, you have a real moisture problem and I doubt that a tarp is going to fix your problem. You should consider encapsulating your crawlspace soon, before it gets worse. I went through this and you can read about it here: Crawlspace preparations for moisture control

You may may need to convince yourself you actually have a problem. Get a humidify indicator with a remote sensor (about $30) and hang the sensor in your crawl space for a week or three. Write down your temp and humidity every day. It should be less than 60%.

Encapsulation is a relatively new science, but there are a lot of good articles out there. I suggest you read the above thread closely and educate yourself. Be sure and read all the kinks. Here is one particularly good article: http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...n-crawlspaces/

I wish you wisdom.

Murph

P.S. You may want to post further questions in the Flooring or HVAC sections.

Advertisement

MurphyMan is offline   Reply With Quote