Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-14-2011, 10:18 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

planting new grass

i have a circle of sand that was used for a pool. what type of dirt should i use to cover it so that i may plant grass there?

good advice but not what i am looking for. what type of dirt do i need to cover the sand before planting grass seed.

Last edited by tomdel; 03-16-2011 at 03:38 PM.
tomdel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 11:23 AM   #2

planting new grass

IF you have grass outside the circle and want to match it, then try to use the same dirt, otherwise it may always look different there and you'll see the circle. If not, well..maybe someone else can answer.

NancyNGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 11:37 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 4

planting new grass

As Nancy said, it is going to depend on the quality of your existing lawn. If you live in an urban area, with well manicured lawns, you will probably want to use a good quality top soil, which you can get from your local nursery. And, if you want to match the existing lawn as close as possible, dig out a small patch to take with you, so that they can tell you what you have now. If you live in a rural area, you might be able to simply watch for some "free dirt". First though, I would remove as much sand as possible, and would rototill the entire area, or trun it over with a shovel. I would think that this is essential, because water is heavy, and with a pool having sat on the area, it is not only compacted, but probaly sloped toward the center as well, and it is very likely that you could end up with a spongy area every time it rains, if it is not loosened.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 09:01 PM   #4

planting new grass

trying to find out what type of dirt to use to cover a plot of sand. not trying to match the exciting grass.
tomdel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 01:03 PM   #5

planting new grass

The simplest answer has been stated: topsoil. You don't want to use garden soil or commercial potting soil or anything like that since it will have a completely different texture and qualities from your soil. Topsoil is readily available anywhere for delivery or pick up from a local nursery or landscape supplier. See if you can get native top soil that will be most like what you already have in your yard (as it can vary a great deal)
Plump is offline   Reply With Quote