Originally Posted by debrobin1
I it better to cover grass seed with newspaper or dirt when seeding initially?
Newspaper is good for killing grass, seriously, you lay it down to kill grass like for a new flower bed.
What works the vey best:
1. Work up the top several inches of soil, well.
2. Spread a generous almot of peat moss.
3.Work it in the top couple inces of soil.
4. Sprinkle on grass seed.
5. cover with more peat 1/4 to 1/2"
6 stir gently.
7. Water - make sure the peat all gets wet. It is a little messier but easier to wet it ask you go.
8. Keep it wet but not flooded untill it is fully established.
9. water on a regular basis the first season
10. Wait a good month after planting till you mow, let it get long.
Buy quality seed that is appropriate for the area e.g. sun tolerant, shade tolerant.