Plant Recommendations? - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-29-2013, 08:31 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 500

Plant Recommendations?

Have a 48" high chain link fence approx. 225' long around the perimeter of my back yard. What type of perennial vine or other species do you recommend to plant along it to make it disappear into it? Preferable to be evergreen or dense structure to obstruct direct view of fence even during winter. Zone 5. Thanks!

Advertisement

Old 05-31-2013, 01:45 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

Plant Recommendations?

Any arborvitae or rhododendrum (sp?) will do. They can get very thick/dense and cut down on any possible noise as well.

Advertisement

BRWhelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 03:46 AM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Plant Recommendations?

I think a shrub, not a vine, is going to serve you better and especially if you have neighbor issues. Just do not plant them too close to the fence. The problem with a vine is you may not be able to contain it just to your side. And if you have ever had to prune and remove most vines from a cyclone fence you know it is a struggle.

Something like a holly trained to the fence but planted only on your side might work. There are some trees you could espalier to it and keep them contained on your side of the yard.

Believe it or a not, and not sure which would work in your climate zone, but a clumping---and not a running type---of bamboo would work and look nice. A dwarf variety should get no more than the height of the fence if that is your aim. Even with clumping and not running type bamboo you should plant it inside buried collars to keep it contained. PVC or concrete drain pipe rings work well. I have clients that planted clumping types of bamboo along fences and even with narrow flower beds that have never had issues and they still like the look 30 years laters. We all know horror stories of people who planted to little spreading type bamboos without an containment and now see it filling in the whole yard.

I take it weaving something physical into the chainlink is out of the question? In whole or in part. I have seen some rather intricate designs from dyed and protected canvas or synthetic outdoor cloth like used around tennis courts or made from sails that have outlived their usefullness on boats. Stained lattice made for the purpose could work, perhaps in combination with some plantings.

If you plant, your combinations of vines, grasses like bamboo, shrubs or small trees do not have to be the same the full length I hope? As mentioned, just do not plant right up on the fence. Give yourself future room to get to the plants.

Last edited by user1007; 06-01-2013 at 03:48 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote