DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Placing joist hanger on top of ledger instead of hangers.

3K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  rossfingal 
#1 · (Edited)
Placing joist on top of ledger using hurricane connecter instead of hangers.

Hello everyone!

I'm new to the forum and have been browsing around for quite some times. It was a pleasure reading tips and ideas from everyone. My wife and I purchased a home more than a year ago and decided to add on a small deck in the back yard to entertain friends and family. Nothing extravagant! My first plan was a simple 8' x 15' deck at ground level. Due to a slope that runs along the side of my house, the other end of the deck is about 20" off the ground. I'm using 2x6 for the ledgers, 2-2x6 for rim joists, and 2x6 for joist.
Two of the sides of the deck is connected to the exposed foundation of my house and the ledgers are already attached using red-head expansion anchors at 16" OC. I also have dug post holes 8' from the wall at 7' spacing.
My wife suddenly decided that 8' out from the wall is a bit small and wanted 10' instead. My question is, instead of using joist hangers attaching to the ledgers, can I place my joist on top of the ledger using the hurricane connectors so that I could use 10' joist and have it overhang the rim joist by 2' acting as a cantilever. Any help is appreciated!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.