Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-17-2012, 08:39 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 6
Share |

Pine trees .... disease?

We moved into this house a couple months ago and now that the snow has melted I'm seeing an interesting yard. There are several pines in the back yard, about half are dead/dying and the rest seem to be doing just fine. The ones on either side of my pole barn are dead half way up. Around the one in the first picture there are 3 12" stumps which he cut at the ground and I cannot tell what they were. Sorry for the poor quality, I was trying to show how the ones I pictured are near dead but some of the trees in the back are thriving.

Any idea what is effecting my pines or what I can do to remedy it? I don't want to lose all these nice older trees around here! One thought I had was that they cut the roots when they put the pole barn in, but that was 9 years ago and it isn't just these two trees.
Attached Thumbnails
Pine trees .... disease?-img_0268-1-.jpg   Pine trees .... disease?-img_0269-1-.jpg   Pine trees .... disease?-img_0270-1-.jpg  

Last edited by moneymgmt; 04-17-2012 at 08:46 AM.
moneymgmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:47 AM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 0

Pine trees .... disease?

It could be a number of things or combination of a few. I would definitely check for any sort of blight, fungus or surface or boring insect infestation. Conifers don't appreciate high nitrogen fertilizers like those used on turf and that could be causing the brown out. It could be frost damage and even pollution could be stressing them.

I would encourage you to get a soil sample from under the failing trees and the healthy ones to see if the analysis points out any dramatic differences.
You may be able to get help from ag extension at the University or state or county level. Soil tests are not expensive though. A soil lab will advise you on how to gather the samples.

I would pass your situation by a local nursery or better yet an arborist. Many cities and municipalities have arborists on staff that are more than willing to help out. Again, the University should have a willing grad student or something.

By the way, the trend among arborists is to encourage the planting of diverse tree species so that if something like a beetle or Dutch Elm disease comes along it does not wipe out all trees. If you have to replant, you might think about something other than pines. Arborists where I lived before put out a really nice guide for homeowners indicating what trees they hoped to see planted and that would do especially well in the environment.

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:02 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 166

Pine trees .... disease?

If you do not want to loose all those other tree then get this check out asap.
I my area there's a wood bore that's wiping out pines like crazy, there's no effective treatment for it once it's it's attact the tree, it has to be cut down and hauled away or it spreads to the next tree.
http://forestry.about.com/od/forestd..._dis_worst.htm
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:35 AM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 0

Pine trees .... disease?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
If you do not want to loose all those other tree then get this check out asap.
I my area there's a wood bore that's wiping out pines like crazy, there's no effective treatment for it once it's it's attact the tree, it has to be cut down and hauled away or it spreads to the next tree.
http://forestry.about.com/od/forestd..._dis_worst.htm
Joe is right! And if it is a fungus it can go airborne and blow from tree to tree. Insects can of course travel in a variety of ways.

I live on Lincoln Park in Chicago and many beautiful old trees have been lost to a boring insect population that spread from tree to tree. Of course they would not have been boring if they had read more, seen more plays and listened to better music. Seriously, we all knew something about Dutch Elm disease and how it destroyed picture perfect tree lined streets.

Definitely haul any disease or infested tree or limbs away. Do not even chip them onsite. Disinfect your saws and pruning tools.

Last edited by user1007; 04-17-2012 at 10:39 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 04:37 PM   #5
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 26

Pine trees .... disease?

Would be real easy to call a local tree expert co and have them come out and tell you EXACTLY what is going on and how to treat. This is what they do and it is free. We cannot tell looking at dark pics, even if they were perfect, there is no way to know for sure without being there.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote