Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-17-2013, 02:45 PM   #1

Share |

Pergola Posts...do they have to be buried??

Hi All,

I just recently completed a Unilock patio in my backyard with 3 columns constructed out of the Uni-lock Dimensional stone. At the time of the design of the patio I hadn't planned to build a pergola. Now with the columns in I decided I would like to place a 4X4 post in the center of the columns and build a triangle pergola.
My question is, does the 4x4 post have to be in a sonic tube and buried underground?? My stone column is about 40" high so my plan was to fill the center of the column with cement, set my post and start constructing the pergola
We face all 4 seasons where I live.
Any thoughts???

sprite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:41 PM   #2

Got some pictures of this deck?
I never use 4 X 4's when building any form of roof. They tend to twist and bend when they dry out.

Adding your location to your profile would be a big help.
Just go to quick links to edit. Just mentioning it in a post does little good in the future.

Old 09-17-2013, 09:01 PM   #3

I don't know what your local inspector will require, if you will even have an inspection.

The posts are connected to something stable so that your pergola doesn't fly away with the wind.

The thing your pergola is connected to are usually embedded below the frost line so that your pergola does not move up and down with the seasons.

If you don't require your pergola to be on footings, then you could just fix it to anything to keep it from flying away. However, you do want to brace it so that it doesn't collapse.

Run some 45 degree angle braces from the posts to the beams in one direction, and from the posts to the joists or beams going in the other direction. This will keep the pergola from racking.
cleveman is offline   Reply With Quote