Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-30-2013, 12:16 PM   #1
DIY Homeowner

Share |

Pergola anchoring

We want to make a patio with stone in our backyard with a pergola.
We would like to use planter to anchor the pergola down.
Since we have a bay window on our house where we want to put the pergola, we need the pergola's roof to be about 10 feets high. To clear the window, so we don't loose any view.
I was thinks of using a cut down 12 or 16 foot 4x4 inside the vinyl pergola so that it is tall enough.
And then stucking the part of the 4x4 that is not covered by the vinyl and cement it into the planters.
Is this doable??
Any suggestions??
Thanks, Barry

Barry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:21 PM   #2
"You can do anything"-Mom

Pergola anchoring

How big is the pergola (length x width) I doubt your planters will be adequate support for this. 4x4's aren't the way to go because of their tendency to twist when they dry. 4x6 with a ledger notched out is a better way.

Nobody on here will be able to help a whole lot without seeing what you're seeing. Heck you could be wanting to anchor to a wine barrel planter for all we know. Please post pictures up close and far away so we can help you thru this.

brockmiera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:04 PM   #3
Civil Engineer

Pergola anchoring

Your pergola is going to want to sail away in high winds, so you need to anchor it down securely enough to avoid the kite syndrome. Best plan would be concrete foundations with plates attached with J bolts, or something similar. If you cannot afford to place foundations, or do not care to install a permanent foundation, you should consider discuss with your building inspector alternative techniques. You would likely be surprised how much weight you need to anchor down a pergola with a roof.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:22 AM   #4
DIY Homeowner

Pergola anchoring

I just going that route because I found some websights that suggest it as an alternative way.

The only problem with pouring concrete footings and using a pergola kit is that the measurements would have to be perfect with the placements, one or two inches off on the "J" bolt and I'm screwed, just trying to find the easiest way.
I figured four- 3 foot high , heavy duty planters fill with cement. And the "pt" wood inside the vinyl supports and cross members would be enough weight to hold it down.
Barry J is offline   Reply With Quote