Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-16-2012, 01:50 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Pergola

Bought a new home, old deck rotten, now gone. Got a clean canvas so to speak. We would like to do a nice patio out of stamped concrete or pavers. We would also like to do a pergola. Would it make sense to do the pergola a first, then either patio surface?

tewhiteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 03:36 PM   #2
A Little Of Everything

Rewards Points: 1,068

Pergola

Quote:
Originally Posted by tewhiteman View Post
Bought a new home, old deck rotten, now gone. Got a clean canvas so to speak. We would like to do a nice patio out of stamped concrete or pavers. We would also like to do a pergola. Would it make sense to do the pergola a first, then either patio surface?
I think I'd do the pergola first, since you'll be digging holes and (I assume) pouring concrete as the bases for your pergola.

DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 04:08 PM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Pergola

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHicks View Post
I think I'd do the pergola first, since you'll be digging holes and (I assume) pouring concrete as the bases for your pergola.
I think so too if you are going to use pavers for the patio surface. They are relatively thin and you would cut them to fit around the pergola posts.

If you are going to pour and stamp the patio? Depending on how elaborate the pergola and its weight, you may be anchoring the posts to the top of the concrete. In this case you would, of course, pour, stain and stamp the slab first I should think. Or pour it to incorporate santitube anchors or something if deeper footings are required.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 10:59 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 530

Pergola

I've seen it done both ways. It could be tricky to get a leveled surface if you've already got a pergola in place, especially if any equipment is used to excavate.

You could also dig the holes, insert sono tubes and then lay the pavers....come back and install the posts for the pergola.

I guess if it were me, I'd be tempted to do the pergola first and then the pavers.
cibula11 is offline   Reply With Quote