Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-07-2006, 08:52 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Pavers over concrete patio?

I am thinking of installing pavers for a 20' by 25' area. Right now the entire area is covered in concrete which is in very good condition. Do I need to remove all that concrete, or can I somply lay the pavers over it? Anyone have experience doing this?

Thanks, Jimbo

Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 12:22 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

Hmmm, that's an interesting one. I did an I-block patio last summer: 6 inches of compacted gravel, one inch of sand, then the pavers. I could see the concrete slab doing the same job as the gravel, but you would still need the sand to keep the pavers in place. One concern with this is that you would get water accumulating under the pavers on the slab which would erode the sand layer out from under the pavers. Add a few cold nights and you've got a lot of ice trapped under your pavers, heaving, etc.

I've always been a fan of demolition then starting from scratch, but if you have a nice slab, why not keep it. There are a lot of new concrete products out now that can be colored and stamped to look like pavers. You could do another pour over the existing slab then color it and stamp it, however this would likely require a contractor to do the job. For a small area, the cost might be same as buying sand and pavers yourself.

Having never done what you propose, I can't say if I think it would work or not. If I planned on staying in the house for awhile, I'd probably demo the slab. My top concerns with putting pavers over the slab would be water, but if you live in Arizona, maybe it would be OK.

billinak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 02:58 PM   #3

I saw an advertisement yesterday at Home Depot that showed pavers directly over cement... not sure if they were specifically designed for that but they do exist.
ScubaRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 08:09 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 502

I can't help you if you are zone 7 or lower, but here there is no issue at all. First put the border in using a mortar or epoxy bed, then put a small amuont of sand in to bring the rest of the pavers level.
Tscarborough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 02:18 AM   #5

I don't know what you mean by zone 7, I am in NJ, so there are definately times when it is below freezing for days on end. Does that present a huge problem regarding water drainage?
I would have thought that since the concrete is not porous, that the water would simply find its way through the pavers and onto the slab, where the slope of the slab would direct it away from the house. Since the slab is very flat, I was thinking that I wouldn't even need to use sand. Is that taking too much of a risk?
Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 11:45 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 150

It sounds like what you want to do; lay the pavers over the slab, then sweep sand into the spaces, should only take a day. You'll probably have to add sand every year, but the worst case scenario is that next year or the year after, you have to pull the whole thing up if it doesn't work. If it does work, then you have a nice patio without all the work of preparing the base, which is what takes the most time.
billinak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 02:56 AM   #7

Hi Jimbo, What did you decide to do? I'm in the same situation, I live in Truckee, California, often the coldest spot in the country. I haven't been able to get a difinitive answer from any of the stone supply shops in the area. I want to use sand set pavers overe my 20 X 30 slab and dread the thought of having to remove the slab!

Thanks for any insights you might have.
Ackscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 09:51 PM   #8

I am curious too. I live in NJ and I'm trying to research a similar project. However my area is a raised patio and pool deck. How can you verify the concrete is in good standing?
adminks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 09:36 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 75
Send a message via AIM to Rich Send a message via Yahoo to Rich

I'm working on a paver patio now. Part of it is going to be over an existing concrete slab/porch that is covered and part is going to be on crushed gravel bed. Check out the video at the following. http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/diy_ki...717618,00.html

Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 12:51 PM   #10

I live in so. west FL, and installing thin pavers over Concrete "lanai" areas and pool decks is quite common. I was looking for DIY advice to do the same, especially how to handle the cap stone aopund the pool. I know some adhesive is involved but what kind? Is a additional sand bed also necessary? What matertial is good for "sand locking" the field?
How thin can the pavers be? (I know they can be thick!) Anyone from this area with advice would be appreciated.
easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 05:24 PM   #11

Hi, wonder if anyone out there can answer this. We built a house 2 years ago and it has wrap around porches. Evidently the concrete finishers did not level the concrete or prepare the grade it needs to make water run off. When it rains the wind blows the water up and it settles in all the low places on the porches. i thought of painting or staining the concrete for a better appearance, but I have been researching putting pavers, either brick or concrete, directly on top of the concrete porches. but it has to be graded to wash off the excess water. Does anyone know if you can mortar down the pavers or should they be put in sand? we are considering just paying someone to lay down brick pavers with mortar, similar to our brick steps, which are quite wide....

thanks for any input
LACajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 02:43 PM   #12

Found this as I, too, am looking to cover a concrete patio. I have not used it....has anyone else?
http://www.handydeck.com/
KScrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 08:17 PM   #13

At our condo association in southern NJ, our concrete contractor does this all the time. I can assure you that he knows what he is doing and will not, for example, put skim coats over slabs to level them as he knows that they alway delaminate at some point. He will all not put in concrete without rebar or mesh because he knows it will crack otherwise. So, I trust this guy. Here is what he does:

Instead of sand under the pavers, he puts down a thin layer of pure Portland Cement (powder) and levels it with a notched trowel. Then the pavers are laid down and lightly tapped down to make sure they are settled. Then morter is applied with a trowel around the perimeter of the pavers and over the edge of the existing slab to seal all of the perimeter joints (horizontal and vertical) are sealed. When that has hardened, a morter compound is swept into all of the other paver joints. It is put in dry just like you would put in sand.

Finally, the entire pation is hosed down, being careful not to wash the compound out of the joints. The water will wet and harden that morter as well as seep down, wet and harden the cement and glue the pavers to the slab (leaving no room for future water to get in there, freeze and pop off the pavers.

This has been done for at least 5 years here and we have had absolutely no problems with freeze poping of the pavers or any shifting of them at all.

Give it a try. I am sorry that I cannot give you the full name of the compound that is swept into the joints instead of sand, but it is specifically made for this and the name starts with "Stabil-o-...". Also, the pavers that are used here are simple rectangles and squares (perhaps 2.5 to 3 inches thick) and the have built-in ridges on the sides that act as spacers. It only took a couple of hours to do my 8 x 14 patio and it looks very much better than the existing stained slab did.
olen1009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 09:04 PM   #14

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,068

olen -

The paver installation you are describing is totally against the installation methods I have seen recommended by the paving authorities.

I assume you are referring the the very few installations applied over concrete as opposed to the common heavier duty installations that are done over compacted soil bases. In the case of an installation on a soil base, nor cement is ever permitted.

The backyard methods may work for some patios, but not for any heavier use such as driveways or streets. Even in the case of patios, the preferred method is to set the pavers in granular material and provide for lateral drainage of that layer since water will untimately pass between the pavers, no matter what type of material is place in the joints.
concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 12:13 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 75

The preffered way is to is to remove the concrete and tehen put in the pavament.Else the work will be shabby and not long lasting anyway its again a matter of personal preferences

HiFi is offline   Reply With Quote