Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-04-2012, 08:54 PM   #1

Share |

pavers

hello all. my question is about installing pavers. I am planning to install pavers in my backyard around the pool. I am going to first pour a concrete base. From what I understand, pavers are installed on sand even if there is a concrete base. What I don't understand is why do I have to use sand, why can't I permanently install pavers right on concrete with mortar mix or thinset? Wouldn't it be sturdier and longer lasting to use mortar install of a sand base?

Thanks!

leon718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:26 PM   #2

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

pavers

What kind of pavers are you considerin (clay or interlocking concrete). What size of units of units are you considering (approx. 4"x8" or larger units that are over 12" in any direction and really stepping stones.

Where are you located? (climate and weather/moisture).

The smaller interlocking pavers perform well in cold climates and can carry higher loads than pavers glues to concrete slab, but will not have enough load and they will see. Subsurface drainage in cold climates to provide this accomplished by the sand setting bed and setting bed that makes installation much faster and cheaper.

There are many that can get away with gluing some sort of pavers down with adhesive, but its life is much less.

Dick

concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:39 PM   #3

pavers

I am in NYC area. I am considering interlocking pavers, around 12x12 size or slightly larger. The area I am covering is actually split into two 500 square feet each (so 1000 sq feet total). The temp in our area range quite a bit. So what are my options as far adhesive/mortar vs. sand?

Leon.
leon718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 12:32 AM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

pavers

You might look into rubber pavers. They work out pretty well around pools.

Another option is to find an artisan concrete finisher and stamp a paver pattern of your choice into the concrete when poured.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 10:43 PM   #5

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

pavers

Reliving an old post!

If it is a serious paver installation (area and loads) concrete is not economically feasible, but a concrete slab might be adequate for a smaller situation (like a patio) with less loads. When I say large area, I mean miles of streets, roads or large areas over 10 acres and up to 40 acres. By loads, I mean street and highway loadings up to airport taxiways or industrial ship unloading facilities. As far a polymeric sand, I have never seen it used in bag form and the distribution problems in that form and the life cycle (continued claimed befits).

With a small casual situation, you can use many different methods.

Dick
concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote