Paver Sand Got Wet - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-17-2011, 07:49 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Paver sand got wet

Hi all,
I’m installing a front walkway and have issues. I got the pavers installed with recommended 2” base and 2” sand under the pavers. This was recommneded by the paver supplier. I’ve done this and wasn’t able to tamper them down, sweep in the polymeric sand into the gaps and tamper again as it was almost midnight. The footing felt solid.
Anyway being unreliable as the weather forecasters are, it wasn’t supposed to rain that night but it did. When I went out the next morning, the pavers moved easily when walked on so I’m thinking I have to remove the pavers and the wet sand – possibly tamper the base again – screed in some dry sand and reinstall. Flex 'beast' edging is installed on one side but I'm removed that and putting in rigid ediging since I have all straight lines and the flex stuff doesn't do the trick.

Any other recommendations, comments…etc would be greatly appreciated.
bgg

Advertisement

bggas400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 08:28 PM   #2

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,144

Paver sand got wet

Normally a maximum of a 1" sand is screeded and not compacted. The pavers are set and the edge restraint is tightly butted up to the pavers ans fine sand is spread over the surface and then the surface is vibrated to even out the surface, vibrate the pavers into the 1" setting bed and make sure the sand gets into the tight joints to create the interlock. Polymeric sand is uncommon because it offers no real advanages. The excess sand is then swept off.

Sand cannot really be compacted, but only made to look compacted and can only be reasonably well the compacted if it contained on all sides.

In your case, the setting bed is too thick and the pavers are "swimming" in the thick wet sand setting bed. The ICPI recommends a maximum setting bed of 1". with a thick cohesionless material in the setting bed movement can be expected.

Dick

Advertisement

concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:38 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Paver sand got wet

Quote:
Originally Posted by concretemasonry View Post
Normally a maximum of a 1" sand is screeded and not compacted. The pavers are set and the edge restraint is tightly butted up to the pavers ans fine sand is spread over the surface and then the surface is vibrated to even out the surface, vibrate the pavers into the 1" setting bed and make sure the sand gets into the tight joints to create the interlock. Polymeric sand is uncommon because it offers no real advanages. The excess sand is then swept off.

Sand cannot really be compacted, but only made to look compacted and can only be reasonably well the compacted if it contained on all sides.

In your case, the setting bed is too thick and the pavers are "swimming" in the thick wet sand setting bed. The ICPI recommends a maximum setting bed of 1". with a thick cohesionless material in the setting bed movement can be expected.

Dick
Thanks for replying. I did not compact the setting bed, only screed.
I was under the impression that polymeric sand inhibits the growth of weeds and is a deterrent for ants making holes.

bgg
bggas400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 08:04 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,048

Paver sand got wet

Is/was the soil base under the sand layer tamped enough?

The sand is going to get wet anyway, from rain water seeping between the pavers.

Last edited by AllanJ; 11-26-2011 at 08:08 AM.
AllanJ is online now   Reply With Quote