Paver Project - Please Help. - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Colbyt
  • 1 Post By concretemasonry

Old 07-08-2016, 08:59 PM   #1
BJH

Rewards Points: 14

Paver project - please help.

We are looking at filling in some 'planter' areas in our complex with pavers.

Attached is what they currently look like. I spoke about this project to a family member who used to do contracting, but I don't 100% trust his landscaping credentials.

His suggestions:
1) Level the dirt
2) Place a layer of weed block roll over the dirt (we have a lot of weeds growing in now, looks like a jungle - will need to pull them out first).
3) Fill the pits up with playground sand to about 2" below the top level of the wall (or crushed limestone)
4) Place "tar paper" over this. Perforate the paper.
5) Place patio pavers on top of this, filling any gaps between with sand.

On face value it seems relatively reasonable, but I'm sure there are some tweaks to be done here.

As you can see from the attached, the planters are cement sided and this is in Chicago (so we will get lots of cold, snow, and ice). We want to make sure that however we fill in the pavers is resistant to this weather.

I'm especially unsure of the suggestion for the tar paper. I think it was partially suggested because we believe we might have a rodent problem currently underneath the ground in these pits. Additionally, it doesn't sit right with me that the pavers would go directly ontop of the paper, but should seemingly go on sand?

Finally, I'm not sure what we should use to "fill in the gaps" between. Is normal sand the best choice?

This solution sounds to me like it won't be very stable - i.e. if you walk on the pavers they will just shift all around, etc.

Can anyone confirm or correct this plan?

Thanks very much.

Advertisement

BJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 08:41 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 222

Re: Paver project - please help.

pic doesn't work

Advertisement

Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 11:13 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 3,426

this link will give you the basics.

http://grounds-mag.com/mag/grounds_m...ncrete_pavers/
Canarywood1 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 07-09-2016, 12:02 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 22

If it's going to be walked on, you're going to want 2" of gravel under the sand. You've probably got a level where you want the top of the pavers to be, so thickness of the pavers + 2" of sand + 2" of gravel. Dig down and start putting your materials in; it's a good amount of work, but it's fairly easy, especially if you don't have to cut any stone.

And speaking of the thickness of the pavers, don't cheap out on them. There are a lot of 1.5" thick pavers out there, but these are going to crack a lot easier than their beefier 2.25-3" cousins. Also, the more surface area you see once the pavers are in place means they'll be easier to crack. A 10.5 x 7 will last longer than a 12 x 12.

You should be fine laying the sand, then a weed barrier or something. I'm not familiar with using tar paper, but it really shouldn't affect the stability of the stones either way. Once you put paver sand in the cracks, you're going to get weeds over time, but those are easily sprayed.

Last edited by kyle108; 07-09-2016 at 12:07 PM. Reason: Spelling
kyle108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 03:34 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 3,751

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJH View Post

His suggestions:
1) Level the dirt
2) Place a layer of weed block roll over the dirt (we have a lot of weeds growing in now, looks like a jungle - will need to pull them out first).
3) Fill the pits up with playground sand to about 2" below the top level of the wall (or crushed limestone)
4) Place "tar paper" over this. Perforate the paper.
5) Place patio pavers on top of this, filling any gaps between with sand.

Pretty much 100% wrong!

The weed block under the paver base it good with loose soils and not needed in heavy soils.

Here is mostly the right way. http://www.homedepot.com/c/how_to_in...patio_HT_PG_OD
de-nagorg likes this.
Old 07-09-2016, 06:52 PM   #6

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,578

My suggestions:

1) Excavate and place compacted base of solid soil (not dirt, whatever that really is).

2) Bring the compacted base up to about 1" below the surrounding concrete surface.

3) Screed a 1" layer(no more) of concrete sand. Any more is unacceptable.

3) Set the pavers on the level screeded sand.

4) Place the pavers to be slightly (1/4" or less) higher than the existing concrete.

5) Vibrate the surface of the installation with vibratory plate compactor to provide a smooth, even surface and give some strength and uniformity. Because of the foot traffic, the surface match the existing concrete because of the "trip" liability.

I am assuming you are using the typical "interlocking concrete pavers" that are available in both 60mm and 80mm or even 100mm in some areas.

Dick
de-nagorg likes this.
concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 12:12 PM   #7
BJH

Rewards Points: 14

Doesn't look like I can edit my original thread.

Here is a new pic.

Thanks, will review the responses in a bit.
BJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 09:48 AM   #8
Hardscapes ID

Rewards Points: 18

That is a not big piece of land. If you don't plan to grow there anything, I would suggest pretreat the ground with industrial chemicals against weed.

Advertisement

TonyHarb is offline   Reply With Quote