Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-27-2013, 01:25 PM   #1

Share |

Paver patio/perimeter drain tile/ramblings

I had wanted to do this project myself, but the fact that the patio door is lower than the sidewalk on the side of the house and I was confused on how to grade it properly made me decide to hire some pros.

I now have some concerns though, in that this project initially started due to water in the crawl space, so I've been detaching all my downspouts from the perimeter drain tile, and running them at least 10 feet out to the lawn, or as far as necessary to reach proper slope. The old concrete patio actually sloped to the house, albeit to a drain, but of course I want it sloped away. In the photo you can see that the sidewalk area is higher and part of the drain tile seems like it won't allow enough space for gravel base/sand/pavers.

The real concern I have with the people I hired is they have not even sloped the ground properly, and started putting down sand (as well as covering an area on the drain tile that I had prepared for gravel with ordinary dirt.

I don't want to be one of these dickhead customers, but I asked them where's the slope, where's the 3/4" minus base, where's your plate compactor, etc, and was told 4" of sand is all I need. I then came up with this wild idea, why not find the actual installation instructions that come with the product! So...I printed this up
http://www.pavingstones.com/spec-docs/paver_install.pdf and showed it to them, and still was scoffed at, so I basically sent them home, while I called the office to say maybe I should just pay them for the work done so far, and find someone else to finish it, but was told not to worry, on Monday they will bring gravel. This isn't what I was expecting on a $4,200 200 square foot patio with basic concrete pavers. There references checked out, but whats on top could just hide the lack of a proper base for awhile. ??

Finally, I get to my three questions; should I fire them now and cut my losses, and how is that part of the perimeter drain tile that will end up higher than the paver level to be dealt with? Also, there's a Pear tree right on the edge of the patio - should I remove it?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Paver patio/perimeter drain tile/ramblings-picture-503.jpg   Paver patio/perimeter drain tile/ramblings-picture-501.jpg   Paver patio/perimeter drain tile/ramblings-picture-491.jpg   Paver patio/perimeter drain tile/ramblings-picture-504.jpg   Paver patio/perimeter drain tile/ramblings-picture-489.jpg  

Last edited by McLaren; 07-27-2013 at 02:15 PM. Reason: typo
McLaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 02:08 PM   #2

I wanted to include these photos to better illustrate the slope from the sidewalk side. To me it sure looks like they've (or I've) got a lot more digging to do before adding any material.

Come to think of it though, maybe that sliding door is not lower than the sidewalk, maybe the door side just needs a thicker base?

Should I maybe just put gravel and river rock (got lots laying around) over the area where the drain tile is almost flush with the sidewalk?

Oh crap, I just noticed they've partially crushed the drain tile drain and dropped a lot of dirt into it too!
Attached Thumbnails
Paver patio/perimeter drain tile/ramblings-picture-506.jpg   Paver patio/perimeter drain tile/ramblings-picture-507.jpg   Paver patio/perimeter drain tile/ramblings-picture-509.jpg   Paver patio/perimeter drain tile/ramblings-picture-510.jpg   Paver patio/perimeter drain tile/ramblings-picture-511.jpg  

Paver patio/perimeter drain tile/ramblings-picture-512.jpg  

Old 07-28-2013, 06:46 PM   #3

Anyone?

Should I be asking this on another forum section?
Old 07-28-2013, 08:26 PM   #4

I can't offer much in the way of advice for how to get this project finished, other than I would hire someone else. It's one thing for a contractor to skimp up front because you didn't specify exactly what you wanted (or rather, how it ought to be accomplished), but for the crew to blow you off multiple times when you're obviously well educated on the matter is another thing entirely.

I'm surprised you don't have more responses yet. Generally a thread with this much detail (and pictures!) gets a hefty amount of attention.

Best of luck!
NegativeTen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 12:29 PM   #5

Thanks for your response.

It's 10:28 Monday morning now, and no sign of the crew, not sure what to do.

Can anyone tell me if the pear tree roots are a concern for being so close to the patio though?

Thanks.