Paver Patio Design - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-28-2009, 05:48 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Paver Patio Design

I'm looking to put in a paver patio next spring...as I haven't put in a patio before, I've done a fair bit of reading, and the process itself does not seem too complicated and you can achieve good results as long as you don't skip steps..ie, not renting a tamper etc..

What I am looking for is if anyone has any good patio design books that they would recommend. I want the patio to have a fire pit....a wall for people to sit on, may a flower bed in a wall, etc.. So while I have ideas on what I want, i'm looking for a book that will help tie the ideas together and help with the planning and calculating costs as well.

(not sold on a book either,....website/software would work also)

thanks

Advertisement

mahjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 12:31 PM   #2
Remodeler

Paver Patio Design

I am in no way vouching for this product, but I found this:

http://www.digitalriver.com/dr/v2/ec...DE=&CACHE_ID=0

Home Depot sells it. Never used it.

Advertisement

KlintP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 12:25 PM   #3

Paver Patio Design

thanks....nice and cheap. If it works, saves me lots of time in planning/drawing...if it doesn't, i'm only out $15.
Old 09-30-2009, 12:30 PM   #4
Remodeler

Paver Patio Design

You're welcome. Another idea is just to search the web for paver patio pictures. Google has an image search. That will help you get ideas. Many of my clients just print out a picture they found on the web that they like.

It won't help you calculate the cost, but you can get a rough idea based on the square footage of your space and the cost of each paver.
KlintP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 03:35 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 25

Paver Patio Design

I just finished my backyard with new pool and 1,600 square feet of new paver patio. I also have a firepit, but no sitting wall. Just need to make sure in your plan that you need to allow sufficient seating space away from the pit, maybe 4-6 feet should do. If interested, I can post some pics.
bobssurfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 03:07 PM   #6

Paver Patio Design

the wife is not so hot on the fire pit as a permanent feature, she would much rather pave the entire area and then have a movable fire pit....

now i just have to design and build it...
Old 10-02-2009, 04:10 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 250

Paver Patio Design

I went to the library and found a bunch of good landscaping books with patio ideas. I can't recall specific names, but I'm sure you'd find a whole section to breeze through. One thing we did was to add curved flower beds around a few sections of our patio so it helps blend it into the landscaping and make it seem like part of the yard. For the firepit, if it would be easy to run a gas line and any wiring now before the pavers go in, I would consider it or at least weigh the option while you can, even if you think you want a portable fire pit or real logs. We didn't and regret not having the ability to use gas.

Advertisement

Allison1888 is offline   Reply With Quote