Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-22-2012, 01:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Paver Patio

Going to begin digging for a paver patio this weekend. I will have about 185 sq ft of area that I will be digging out. Three sides of this will be adjacent to the slab of the house. I will be digging out for apporx 6inches of gravel base and 1-2 inches of sand, plus the pavers to be at the slab elevation. Wha kind of gravel do you suggest using? Should it be limestone or something smaller? Any other pointers or tips? Thanks.

Lsuhunter55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 02:21 PM   #2

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 14

Paver Patio

The base material should be what is used under a driveway or road and is often referred to as "crusher run", which really has no specifications. Compact and grade it to be parallel to the desired drainage.

Use screeded (not compacted concrete sand) in a uniform 1" thickness to maintain the drainage plan used for the base.

Set the pavers tight together in whatever pattern you chose. Install an edge restraint to contain everything. You may have to set the pavers slightly high (1/8 - 1/4" or so) to allow for the compaction and consolidation caused by the vibrator later.

Sprinkle fine sand (masonry sand) over the surface and vibrate with a plate vibrator to smooth the paver surface, draw sand up from the setting bed and force sand down into the joints to create a good interlock for stability. - Sweep off the excess sand.

No need for polymeric sand unless it is convenient. I have never seen it used on a real paving job where they have tight specs and heavy loads (semis, airplanes, straddle loaders, etc.).

Dick

concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 03:22 PM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Paver Patio

If you have not bought the pavers yet, you might look into rubber ones. They are made mostly from recycled tires and come in nice colors. They are algae and bacteria resistant. Super low maintenance and temperature extreme tolerant without cracking, etc. They come in styles and shapes ranging from bricklike and interlocking dogbone to squares and rectangles. Many racetracks use them because they stand up to the hooves and are easier on the horses. They are quite beautiful installed and a delight to walk on. As with all things, the box stores carry the crappiest of crappy ones. You would install them just like brick or concrete ones so don't skimp on that part of things.

Last edited by user1007; 02-22-2012 at 03:32 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 05:16 PM   #4

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 14

Paver Patio

Recycled rubber may be good enough for a casual patio since strength and stability are not critical.

The concrete pavers are also used in repair facilities for heavy duty (D8) tacked dozers if you are looking for testimonials. They use the same base materials and construction process, but usually a little thicker.
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 07:39 AM   #5

Paver Patio

Well to be honest, i havent bought them yet, but I cant imagine they are as "Cost Friendly" as the deal I am getting on mine.

Anyone got any idea on how long something like this may take? I am getting all the material and equipment brought to the house on Friday. Think i could knock it all out this weekend?
Lsuhunter55 is offline   Reply With Quote