Patio Root Repair - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-17-2013, 04:19 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

Patio root repair

I have a patio that is paved in red brick. The bricks are mortared together in 4ft x 4ft squares separated by 2x4 framing. The problem is a couple of these squares have lifted up a bit due to roots pushing underneath. The mortar is all intact still. If possible, I would like to lift each of these squares, trim the roots, level the sand and replace the square so it sits at the proper level again.

I was thinking of using a large tripod and come-along winch to lift each square. I could remove the wood framing around each one, or even drill and attach some anchors to the brick surface. I don't know if this is possible without breaking the mortar joints, since 4' x 4' brick is a lot of weight.

Thoughts?

Advertisement

tns1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 04:26 PM   #2

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,144

Patio root repair

The mortar may look intact, but there probably many small or microscopic cracks the will increase one there is no support from below.

It will be better to tear it out, replace what bricks are salvageable and correct/minimize the root problem before rebuilding if you like the look.

Dick

Advertisement

concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to concretemasonry For This Useful Post:
joecaption (07-17-2013)