Patio Project Advice- Pics Included - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-17-2011, 10:39 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Patio project advice- pics included

I decided to build an 8x10 patio with the help of my husband. Our home sits on a downward slope towards some woods. We have an L shape area to the side of the back where the patio will go. We started to dig then realized that we were a little in over our heads (pic 1) and outsourced for that part. Set us back $150. Our new foundation made of treated lumber didn't leave us much room to work with, without digging down further, so we started building up from there. We went with about 2" of pave base that brought us to the top of our foundation and hand tamped it. We added sand and started the pavers, and it's about 2" of sand bringing our pavers 4" above the base. I'm lost on how to close this up with the lumber surround, especially with the 4" lip.
Attached Thumbnails
Patio project advice- pics included-patio.jpg   Patio project advice- pics included-patio2.jpg   Patio project advice- pics included-patio3.jpg   Patio project advice- pics included-patio4.jpg  

Advertisement

Last edited by Birdiegirt; 07-17-2011 at 11:16 AM. Reason: add pics
Birdiegirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 10:06 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

It looks like you're ending up with two heights.
All I can think of is:
a).Adding another 6x6 layer and raising the entire patio up. You'd then probably have to add a step or two on the outside.(worse)
b).Taking the pavers next to the house out, digging down that base to the same as the outer level, then repaving. You could use some other material besides wood for the retaining wall surround. (better).

The 6x6 is going to want to slide downhill, so drill holes and hammer rebar deep into the ground.

Advertisement

Stillwerkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 12:31 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks for the reply, you've given me some things to consider. Adding 6x6 is possible, but then the steps would be scary on the slope. The patio is actually not two levels. The pavers towards the end are my initial fitting test, but the highest stone would probably be the height of the pavers which would bring me about 1 1/2" above the lumber. I'd sure hate to pull everything up. I saw the idea of a stone retaining wall long after I started this project. I plan to put a retaining wall towards the house and the back sides. Do you think it's safe to put/glue stone on or around the lumber?
Birdiegirt is offline   Reply With Quote