Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-10-2010, 10:48 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Patio problem.

My son is laying a patio, the size is 18' by 14'. He has already put down the base and sand before it was leveled. how can we fix this problem?

boosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 11:26 PM   #2

Patio problem.

Sounds like you need to either remove the material he put down, or continue compacting the base material and purchase more. Either case, it is not an ideal situation.

EdwardC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 05:11 AM   #3

Patio problem.

Should we remove the sand and add more gravel, or can we add more sand and compact it.
Old 04-11-2010, 05:19 AM   #4

Patio problem.

Need more info. Is the patio being built on a slope?
The excavation does not have to be perfectly level before installing gravel and/or sand.
The base materials are what you use to grade the patio with.
If the patio is being built on a slope then you have to excavate into the up side of the site and achieve a close to level base. Otherwise retain the down side and add more gravel to build it up.
A picture would help as well. Cross view so we can see any elevation changes. I have installed thousands of sq. ft of patio so I'm certain I can answer any questions you may have once I get more info.
Bushman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 05:46 AM   #5

Patio problem.

No it is not built on a slope. He sloped the area to much, and before he built up the sloped end he started adding the sand. So should we remove the sand (1ton) and add gravel or can we build up and level with sand?

Last edited by boosie; 04-11-2010 at 05:55 AM.
Old 04-11-2010, 06:06 AM   #6

Patio problem.

First off where is he located? Too much sand is not good in the north.
How much sand is installed already(depth) over the gravel?
You don't want your patio sticking up out of the ground too much. I would probably peel back the sand on the high side and remove some of the gravel and then put the sand back.
If you just add to the low end how high would the patio be above the lawn/ground?
Old 04-11-2010, 06:29 AM   #7

Patio problem.

Midwest. The foundation was dug to 7'' and on the high side 4'' and on the low end about 3 inches of gravel. He has add one inch of sand to the area. patio blocks are 2 inches thick.
Old 04-11-2010, 06:40 AM   #8

Patio problem.

Ok. The excavation was not done properly. A correct base would be 7-8 inches of compacted gravel.
1.5 inches of compacted sand and then your pavers. So the site should have been excavated to about 11 inches deep roughly. The reason is the freezing of the ground will end up heaving the patio over time. You need the gravel base to be correct to prevent this. It keeps the water out from under the patio. Your only choice if you do not want to do a re-do would be to remove the sand and add more gravel to the low end. This would give you at least 4 inches of compacted gravel. I am not sure how long it will last before it moves. It may never. You can never be exactly right all of the time.
I would try and put a substantial grade on the patio though to keep as much rain water off as possible.
Minmum 2 inch of grade away from house. This would help to keep the water from soaking under patio.

The Following User Says Thank You to Bushman For This Useful Post:
boosie (04-11-2010)