Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-31-2011, 10:24 AM   #1

Share |

Patio Pavers

so im trying to help a friend... I gave her a list of things to buy unfortunately she decided not to listen and spend her budget on wrong pavers... its the kind where you use big and small stones unfortunately she only bought the big ones... now my question is, is there a way to lay them without the smaller pieces and without creating huge gaps because she refuses to return and exchange and since she's a close friend im trying to help as much as possible but im afraid a contractor is going to tell her the same thin I do... get the small stones or put up with bigger gaps...
PhillyMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 10:37 AM   #2
DIY'er

Patio Pavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyMom View Post
so im trying to help a friend... I gave her a list of things to buy unfortunately she decided not to listen and spend her budget on wrong pavers... its the kind where you use big and small stones unfortunately she only bought the big ones... now my question is, is there a way to lay them without the smaller pieces and without creating huge gaps because she refuses to return and exchange and since she's a close friend im trying to help as much as possible but im afraid a contractor is going to tell her the same thin I do... get the small stones or put up with bigger gaps...
Some photos would be very helpful. It's hard to picture exactly what size these are and what size gaps we're talking about, chances are good if it is designed to be used with a smaller one then the best solution is to just get the smaller ones also. You don't want to end up with a trip hazard that could hurt someone and then what would that cost you?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Need Help Uploading Photos?
jamiedolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 10:53 AM   #3

Patio Pavers

im sorry my mistake I thought I had attached it... unforyunatly its not the best pic... its what she send me after she bought it.. its hard to see but they are odd shaped with a groove to make it look like 2 stones... hope that semi helpful if not I will repost a pic tomorrow when I check on her yard... thanks for the fast reply
Old 07-31-2011, 10:55 AM   #4

Patio Pavers

and forgot it again... darnit... here it goes lol
Attached Thumbnails
Patio Pavers-unknown.jpg  
Old 07-31-2011, 11:02 AM   #5
DIY'er

Patio Pavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyMom View Post
and forgot it again... darnit... here it goes lol
HI;

Just FYI: You are able to click the edit button to change your posts after they are posted.

It is a bit hard for me to picture how close those will fit together. If they are the kind I am thinking they might be, they are suppose to be used with a octogoan like shape that is around 4" to 5"'s in size. If that is the case, then that is a pretty huge gap.

If these all fit tighter than that and you can get down to a pretty small gap you can fill the gaps with sand, keep in mind that will have to be refreshed in the future. Larger gaps are going to end up washing away more quickly though.

I'm sorry I can't be more helpful at the moment, I just can't totally picture how that shape lays down and where the gaps between the stones are.

But for a walk way, I would again encourage her to get what she needs to get to do it properly so that it is not a hazard.

When your able to, I'd be interested in seeing some photos of how these lay down together.

Need Help Uploading Photos?
jamiedolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 12:59 PM   #6

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

Patio Pavers

I think those "pavers" actually might fit together despite the odd shapes and angles. It is like a jig-saw puzzle, to take 2,3 or 4 pavers and lay them on the floor and slide/turn them around to find the pattern to mesh them together. If you find the pattern, they should give you a random appearance when all are laid together.

Dick
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 02:48 PM   #7

Patio Pavers

Thanks for the edit info didn't bother looking for it... for the pattern I be able to post a better pic tomorrow or tuesday the latest... just looking for opinions before I run taking half of them back to replace them when I could have done it with these all along..... thanks again for the fast replies...
Old 08-03-2011, 08:09 AM   #8

Patio Pavers

was going to edit but decided on a new reply... got the pic of the pavers...tending towards getting the smaller pieces since it seems like a lot more work to put them down without them

Edit: no difference in the pics just uploaded twice cuz app crashed and didn't know if it was up or not.. hopw this sort of helps
Attached Images

Old 08-03-2011, 09:17 AM   #9
DIY Hack

Patio Pavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by concretemasonry View Post
I think those "pavers" actually might fit together despite the odd shapes and angles. It is like a jig-saw puzzle, to take 2,3 or 4 pavers and lay them on the floor and slide/turn them around to find the pattern to mesh them together. If you find the pattern, they should give you a random appearance when all are laid together.

Dick

Yea, I think these are meant to be staggered. look at the pict below, it looks like they are all random pieces, but if you look closely you can see the same outline you hve repeating itself, because the individual blocks look like they are made up of sperate "stones". You can use these but you'll have to square the edges of the patio

Last edited by Mr Chips; 08-03-2011 at 09:45 AM.
Mr Chips is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr Chips For This Useful Post:
jamiedolan (08-03-2011)
Old 08-03-2011, 09:36 AM   #10

Patio Pavers

ok see it... those are exactly the ones she has only different color scheme... gonna take a bit of puzzle skills but I think I can manage... thanks all... keep you updated
Old 08-03-2011, 09:42 AM   #11
DIY Hack

Patio Pavers

just in case ( pardon my primitive paint skills). No skill required, just stagger like you are laying brick

The Following User Says Thank You to Mr Chips For This Useful Post:
jamiedolan (08-03-2011)
Old 08-03-2011, 09:54 AM   #12

Patio Pavers

painting skills are just fine... this should be done in no time... thanks bunches...
Old 08-05-2011, 12:37 PM   #13

Patio Pavers

I wanted to thank evryone for their advice especially Mr Chips... thanks to him the job was done quicker then I expected... first time paving and I think it looks pretty darn good.. thanks again to all DIY-ers
Attached Images