Patio Install Question - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-19-2010, 03:38 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Patio install question

DIY installing a 250 sq/ft flagstone patio...yard is sloped slightly to moderately, and basement sump pump pvc pipe runs across existing yard...planning to build 6" gravel base, + 1.5" sand, where the pvc pipe is only that leaves about 2 - 3 inches above PVC for base....essentially raising the patio slighlty to account for PVC pipe. (normally would just dig down however do not want to deal with moving pipe)...due to the sloped yard this leaves a 10 inch drop off on one side that can be levelled or graded away using excavated dirt.

Patio is still below door sill 10 feet from house and will be graded away accordingly. Any advice please let me know. Thanks

Advertisement

patio22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 05:29 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 25

Patio install question

patio22, Couple of questions for you. What region are you located in, depending on the area your located in, that will help determine the amount of base material you will need. And also is the PVC pipe a schedule 40 grade?

Advertisement

Kurtzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 05:37 PM   #3

Patio install question

Upstate New York, not sure Pipe specs....but it was previously under a brick patio. Thanks
Old 08-19-2010, 08:14 PM   #4
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,172

Patio install question

Not quite sure I follow your thread. If you are only going to bury the PVC a few inches, it is going to be prone to freezing in upstate New York. That would be very bad news if you got an early spring flood.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 06:18 AM   #5

Patio install question

Thanks,

I do not plan on moving the pipe it has been there a few years. Sump discharges frequently to a pond. Pipe is located at the height 6 inches of the excavated depth. I excavated 10 inches.
2 questions: can I build enough base around the pipe and a few inches over. The entire patio will have 7 inches base except where the pipe is, where I can only put 2 inch base over the pipe.

Also slope of the yard runs approximately 1 foot the width of patio. Therefore 1 side of patio is flush with ground level, 1 side 10 inch drop off that I plan to fill, level and grade. Patio is built up higher due to pipe.
Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks again.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:53 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 250

Patio install question

Have you talked to your local building dept.? They might have more advice that's specific to your region. One thing I can add about flagstone, however, is to try to get the sections close together so you minimize the spaces inbetween. Otherwise, those areas can collect dirt and get messy.

Advertisement

Allison1888 is offline   Reply With Quote