Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-01-2011, 02:21 PM   #1

Share |

patio extension project

We have recently ripped out the bushes that were beside the patio to extend it further. We decided to use a ton of rocks that were left over from the previous owners instead of buying pavers or pouring concrete. The rocks vary in size, anywhere from 2 foot squared up to 4 feet by 3 feet. They are all around 6 inches thick. Yeah, they're huge and heavy. However, we have run out of rocks and we have HUGE spaces between our rocks. At the corners there could be up to a 6 inch gap until the next rock. We have quite a few little red boulders but they just wouldn't look right with the yellowish rocks. The little lady wants to use some pea gravel but we also want it to be sturdy. As it is, if we were to put pea gravel in our lawn chairs would sink to the bottom tarp. So, I considered using concrete to fill up all of the gaps but leave about a 1/2 inch between the conrete and the top of the rocks. Then, right before the concrete dries, throw the fancy pea gravel onto the concrete. Any ideas on this? What would a person usually use to fill up the gaps between rocks? I know concrete is not the preferred choice. Whatever we use, it'll need to be sturdy so a table and chairs could sit sturdily.

Thanks guys.

jayleekay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 06:50 PM   #2
Concrete & Masonry

patio extension project

Your plan with the peastone & concrete should work fine. Usually, the gap would just be filled with limestone based gravel, which looks a little yellowish, and packs in tightly.

jomama45 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jomama45 For This Useful Post:
jayleekay (11-04-2011)
Old 11-04-2011, 11:49 AM   #3

patio extension project

I was hoping to find some sort of sand or dust at Home Depot/Lowe's but their selection is very limited. I'd like to compact some in to see if it would hold weight. If not, I'll go with maybe gravel or concrete.

Thanks for the suggestion!
jayleekay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 03:46 AM   #4

patio extension project

Paver locking sand becomes very hard after it gets wet, not 100% on how big of gaps you can have that's something to ask the guys at lowes or wherever
kmpittman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 09:58 AM   #5
Stuck in the 70's

patio extension project

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmpittman View Post
Paver locking sand becomes very hard after it gets wet, not 100% on how big of gaps you can have that's something to ask the guys at lowes or wherever

I don't mean to pick on you, kmpittman, but this is an ongoing peeve here. Be very, very careful taking advice from someone at the apron stores. You may find someone who is knowledgeable, but the vast majority are not experts and may or may not know what the heck they are talking about. A lot of bad advice is given out there.
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote