Patio Drainage (PVC Vs PE Vs Schedule 40) - Landscaping & Lawn Care - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-18-2012, 12:01 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Patio Drainage (PVC vs PE vs Schedule 40)

I am about to embark on my patio DIY project.
Almost everything I have seen has shown black corrugagted PE plastic hosing/tubing to place behind a retain wall for draiage. What should I use for drainage for under a patio where the sloped end (fall) runs into a retain wall steps location.

I am concened that having corrugated hosing under the area where a lot of foot traffic will be over time will crush it and then I will have a dip in my patio.

I have seen 4 inch PVC with holes on the underside but it doesn't seem overly strong when I squeeze it.

Other posts have said things along the lines that if you are getting the corrugated hosing at a big box store, then it will crush, but at a specialized store, then it would be strong enough.

Would it be ill advised to get some thicker schedule 40 and drill a bunch of holes in it? These seems a tedious choice.

For the details, I am sloping patio pavers toward a channel drain this will cover water on the surface.
That natrual grade goes high at my house down to the end of the patio where swimming pool concrete starts. At the house end there will be about 6-8 inches of 2A (3/4 and dust) for foundation/base. Where the wall/steps are 18 feet away, there will be 12+ inches of 2A limestone becuase of the grade. The base drainage is where I am concerned and asking what type of tubing/hosing to use.

So there will be quite an amount of limestone on top of this drain. Is that weight too much and will crush PVC or PE (black corrogated)? Or will that distribute the force for when someone is walking on the patio?

Advertisement

Last edited by BrandonC_1972; 06-18-2012 at 12:07 AM. Reason: more descriptive adding drainage 2nd sentence, making details focus on drain
BrandonC_1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 10:02 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,050

Patio Drainage (PVC vs PE vs Schedule 40)

Gravel, sand, and soil distribute the weight so pipes don't get crushed under modest loads (except cars and trucks).

Advertisement