Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-17-2012, 09:31 AM   #1

Share |

Patio Cover Ideas Please!

So here is a picture of the patio. As you can see its pretty bare. My plan is to extend it to the left just about to the edge of the house with pavers (I don't want to hassle with concrete and also don't want to remove the existing concrete yet.

What the patio needs most of all right now is some shade and rain protection.
I'm not really sure where to start with it though. I JUST had new gutters put in (there were none before and it was causing foundation issues) so I REALLY don't want to mess with those. This means I would have to somehow attach the patio roof to the house roof or below the gutters (which would make for a pretty low ceiling.

My father in law had a patio cover put in several years ago and said it cost him $3000+ to have it done, and its probably more now.

I don't have that kind of money, so I'm looking for the most basic DIY friendly design I can manage to just get a simple lean-to type cover over the patio so I can grill in the rain, and get out of the sun.
Attached Thumbnails
Patio Cover Ideas Please!-img_3242-medium-.jpg  

knotquiteawake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:32 AM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Patio Cover Ideas Please!

Big Lots liquidates them and stores like Target and Sears sell them new. Those cabana things look nice, are not too expensive, and you might get a season or two out of them. Get one with somewhat decent framing.

I would stop in at an awning company to see what they might have with a more sturdy frame and cover material. I would think about something the length of your extended patio and parallel, not attached, to the house.

Another option would be to construct some sort of trellis or arbor structure and run canvas or sail cloth from the members to each other. Timber and material costs will add up in hurry though.

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote