Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-03-2008, 08:37 PM   #1
Power Gen/RS Engineer

Rewards Points: 500

Patching Lawn, Squirrels, Birds and Headache

Ok, in all the places that I lived prior to my current home, I had great success patching lawns. I typically loosened up the soil, laid seed and covered with new top soil. In a week or so, I always had new grass growing like mad. Then I moved into my new place.

I've tried this approach many times with limited success, mostly due to birds eating the seed or squirrels digging the bejesus out of the newly-deposited topsoil (it's as if they're playing in a sandbox!).

Does anyone have any recommendations? Someone at my workplace suggested that all-in-one patch that you buy at the big box stores (seed, fertilizer and mulch) as it would at least deter the birds. Sounds OK, but I'm still concerned about the d*mn squirrels tearing through it. Perhaps if I laced the mixture with Cyanide. Hmmmm....

Any ideas or thoughts are welcome!

Jimmy

Old 04-03-2008, 09:25 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

I read on a garden site about using wire mesh to deter squirrels from flowerbeds (placed under mulch so they can't dig into the dirt). Maybe you could do something similar on your patches? You could probably just cut the mesh to size and clamp it down with some kind of pins - you know, like they have for christmas trees and other yard ornaments?

I'm going to be looking at garden centers for this stuff because I'm tired of having my bulbs eaten and holes all over my flowerbeds.

kimberland30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 10:02 PM   #3
Power Gen/RS Engineer

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberland30 View Post
I read on a garden site about using wire mesh to deter squirrels from flowerbeds (placed under mulch so they can't dig into the dirt). Maybe you could do something similar on your patches? You could probably just cut the mesh to size and clamp it down with some kind of pins - you know, like they have for christmas trees and other yard ornaments?

I'm going to be looking at garden centers for this stuff because I'm tired of having my bulbs eaten and holes all over my flowerbeds.
BTW, I absolutely loved the picture that is part of your avatar. I've always laughed heartily at that one!

I love your mind; I had thought of this one myself! I had considered chicken wire (i.e. "poultry netting" as Menards calls it) along with really long nails that were bent to keep the wire down. Still, the idea of electrification for the purpose of squirrel eradication makes me stiff. Then again, the neighbors, the neighbors, the NEIGHBORS. Gotta getem' drunk I guess.

TTFN and thanks,
Jimmy
Old 06-18-2008, 11:49 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

There is a product out there called the scarecrow. Its a motion activated sprinkler that you could place in the yard. The unit covers 35' x 45'. The scarecrow is used for both animals and birds... you cna find one here:
http://www.absolutebirdcontrol.com/scarecrow.htm
stoppestbirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 12:48 PM   #5

If you go to the gardening section of your local home store, you should be able to find a material that's actually designed to hold grass seed on a slope.

It looks like excelsior packing material on a roll. It's similar to what the highway departments use. After you have done your soil amendments and tilling, plant your grass seed then cover with this material. It comes with plastic stakes to hold it to the ground. Water thouroughly and your done. The material will decompose as your grass becomes established. This should solve both critter problems.

I might suggest that you try using a seed mix if you are getting filtered sunlight or shade in the area. That way if one kind of grass doesn't germinate, another will.

I find that a .410 shotgun works well too. :-)

Last edited by Randell Tarin; 06-19-2008 at 12:54 PM.
Randell Tarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 01:21 AM   #6
Kap
Mowing my life away.

Can you buy a tray of sod? or if it's a persistent problem, grow a couple trays of sod yourself to have on hand.

Then all you need to do is cut to shape plug it right in.
Kap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 04:58 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 10

how do you grow a tray of sod?
kshankle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 11:29 PM   #8
Kap
Mowing my life away.

I fill the tray with dirt from the yard I intend to plant in, then seed the tray as if it were a "mini yard", or take stolons from the yard and use instead of seed.

Kap is offline   Reply With Quote