Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Landscaping & Lawn Care

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-29-2009, 11:06 AM   #1
DIY Apprentice

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Palm tree hanging over fireplace..

So as you can see the palm tree just loves to hang over my fireplace...always paid someone to do my landscaping for me but after buying this house those funds don't really exist anymore..

Anyways, how far down can i cut the palms without killing the tree? Should i just pay someone to take the whole damn thing out?

What do you guys suggest?

tripflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 11:11 AM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

The tree will look really goofy if you chop off only the fronds on the chimney side and it looks to be too close to the house in the first place. I guess my rec would be to take it out. The good news is they are not deep rooted.

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 11:18 AM   #3
DIY Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
The tree will look really goofy if you chop off only the fronds on the chimney side and it looks to be too close to the house in the first place. I guess my rec would be to take it out. The good news is they are not deep rooted.

Yeah that's what i was afraid of. My assumption was when someone planted it years ago it looked good on the side of the chimney but now it has grown above the chimney :-\
Old 09-29-2009, 11:33 AM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripflex View Post
Yeah that's what i was afraid of. My assumption was when someone planted it years ago it looked good on the side of the chimney but now it has grown above the chimney :-\
Happens all the time. People forget to plant for the mature dimensions of plants because they think they look silly when they are tiny and far from the house. Next thing you know...
Old 09-29-2009, 11:48 AM   #5

They are not deep rooted, so 2 options:

Dig it up & move it
Offer it for free to someone if they dig it up
Landscape companies may want to take it

Do you plan on using the fireplace?
If not I'd leave it, cut the dead stuff off
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 11:54 AM   #6
DIY Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
They are not deep rooted, so 2 options:

Dig it up & move it
Offer it for free to someone if they dig it up
Landscape companies may want to take it

Do you plan on using the fireplace?
If not I'd leave it, cut the dead stuff off

Use fireplace...no probably never. I mean i live in Florida...i mean i guess maybe during the winter? I guess i'll make a posting on craigslist and see if any landscape companies want it...i know if you want to buy those things straight up they are MAD expensive...haha ill pull it out myself and sell it on craigslist lol
Old 09-29-2009, 11:57 AM   #7

I'd bet if you put it on Craigslist for a couple hundred someone would buy it

I think they can run into the thousands for a mature tree
Old 09-29-2009, 01:02 PM   #8
DIY Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
I'd bet if you put it on Craigslist for a couple hundred someone would buy it

I think they can run into the thousands for a mature tree

Really? Did not know that...

Any landscaping professionals on here know what a tree like this would be worth?

Like if i offer it to a landscaping company should i charge them for it too?

What would be a reasonable price (with and without removal by the company)?

What i essentially would like to do would be take this one out and put a smaller one in its place...maybe do a trade with a company if they remove that one and put a new smaller one in?

Should i look for a certain type of palm to put there? So i wouldn't have this issue again?

Thanks guys!
Old 09-29-2009, 01:04 PM   #9
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Call a nursery and shop a little I guess. Feel them out and maybe they will want it or know of someone who might and that would help you with the trade.

I had not thought about the approach but it is a good idea. Can they get to the thing and get it moved out without tearing apart your whole yard though?

Might try floating it on eBay to see what you could get for it too if you think it worth the fees.

You could see if there is palm you like that would grow smaller. And/or plant it further from the house this next time.
Old 09-29-2009, 01:19 PM   #10

Check this site toi see if it has any value
Some are quite common & apparently worthless per site

http://www.junglemusic.net/palmadvic...large-palm.htm
Old 09-29-2009, 01:23 PM   #11
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Had not considered the obvious. If you like it, and you have room, why not just have it relocated on your own property?
Old 09-30-2009, 08:12 AM   #12
DIY Apprentice

Okay, so i had my buddy come over and look at it....and i also didn't think about the obvious, but there is no room to even get that thing out of there! It's right by my pool, so looks like she is in for a limb trimming :-p
Old 09-30-2009, 09:00 AM   #13
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Bummer. If you still want to get rid of it the tree removal folks can cut it into sections and get it out the way. Probably will not cost you much more than it will to have them come out and scale the tree to trim the branches. Too bad you couldn't save it intact. Maybe it will not look too bad as half a tree.
Old 09-30-2009, 08:51 PM   #14
DIY Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
Bummer. If you still want to get rid of it the tree removal folks can cut it into sections and get it out the way. Probably will not cost you much more than it will to have them come out and scale the tree to trim the branches. Too bad you couldn't save it intact. Maybe it will not look too bad as half a tree.

True...crazy thing i figured out today too...that for some reason i didn't notice before and i have no idea how, but there are two of them right next to each other! It was so overgrown with weeds and some other ugly plant i couldn't even see it!

Yeah it's crazy, the palms are so big, one of them i can grab with my hand because it hangs so low...these palms are HUGE!

I'm probably just going to hold off on them and clear out the rest of brush and weeds...because there is a lot to do.

Literally the weeds grew on top of the fence them somehow branched out to my AC unit and all the way up the palm tree! I cleared everything out from my AC unit today, we'll see what i can get done tomorrow!
Old 09-30-2009, 09:21 PM   #15
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripflex View Post
I'm probably just going to hold off on them and clear out the rest of brush and weeds...because there is a lot to do.
Not that we have palm trees where I am but the critters love trees we do have to provide a way into the house via the chimney. Hope you don't have that issue.